Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have set up RedHat9 with WMWare Workstation 4.5 (windows XP host) and have given linux a IP address(150.163.3.35), which it uses to access the internet. however, I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't FTP access linux

Hello,

I have set up RedHat9 with WMWare Workstation 4.5 (windows XP host) and have given linux a IP address(150.163.3.35), which it uses to access the internet. however, I am unable to acces the linux machine from windows via FTP
    I have tried from several machines, and they all return the same error : " Connect Faliure" as if the IP didn't exist. But I can ping the linux installation no problems...and linux >> windows ftp acces is also smooth. So, what could be wrong?? I already checkd for FTP on linux and it has it...

Thanks

Is the ftp server running? check netstat -pant look for port 21
    if there is no port 21 showing then your ftp server is not running.

Do this in a terminal in the Red Hat.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thanks, indeed there is no port 21 listed, and all the IP's are either 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0

How do I start the ftp server?

in a term as root
    cd /etc/xinetd.d

ls
    mv K50vsftpd S50vsftpd

reboot

note: make sure you turn anonymous ftp off in the config files

cd /etc/vsftpd
    pico vsftpd.conf

<do not allow anonymous ftp>

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Your command yielded:
    mv: can't stat source K50vsftpd

so I installed dvsftpd:
    , I had to install vsftpd (redhat-package-manager) and start it with /etc/init.d/vsftpd start
    But I still have no port 21 open and cant connect, and still get the " cant stat source K50vsftpd"

any ideas?

thanks

Just Joined!
    Yess, got ti to work...set to " services" and started vsftpd from there, working no problem

thanks

Good Job
    -- Linus Torvalds