Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Server Freezes

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Server Freezes

Hi,

I am running a home server with “CentOS Linux 6.3.” Everything was working great until recently. Now it seems every connection to the server is getting reset.

My Windows XP laptop freezes when accessing the Samba shares for a minute or so, then everything works great... For a few minutes... Then the freezing process is repeated.

Whilst the server is seemingly frozen, I cannot access any website using the server’s Apache daemon. This is the same case for all computers on my network, not just the laptop.

Then, when my laptop finally opens the share after being frozen, the website magically works too... That is until the server freezes again.

I have disabled SELinux and here is some relevant information from “/var/log/messages”

Aug 22 18:16:44 server smbd[28141]: [2012/08/22 18:16:44.165636, 0] lib/util_sock.c:680(write_data)
    Aug 22 18:16:44 server smbd[28141]: [2012/08/22 18:16:44.165716, 0] lib/util_sock.c:1441(get_peer_addr_internal)
    Aug 22 18:16:44 server smbd[28141]: getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
    Aug 22 18:16:44 server smbd[28141]: write_data: write failure in writing to client 0.0.0.0. Error Broken pipe
    Aug 22 18:16:44 server smbd[28141]: [2012/08/22 18:16:44.165897, 0] smbd/process.c:79(srv_send_smb)
    Aug 22 18:16:44 server smbd[28141]: Error writing 75 bytes to client. -1. (Transport endpoint is not connected)

The log is filled with the above a million times and the date/time seems to tally up correctly with when the server freezes.

Any help would be great!

Regards,
    Charlie.

Try troubleshooting httpd and samba by monitoring logs and connections

Use sudo tail -f /path/to/log to view live activity in logs

Use sudo netstat -tancp to monitor realtime connections

Have you recently updated anything or changed any config files?

Quote Originally Posted by awc View Post
    Have you recently updated anything or changed any config files?
    exactly what I was going to ask. if everything was working great until lately, then it seems that something must have changed...

you may also want to post your smb.conf for the Samba gurus here (not me!)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I want to guess the problem lies with the windows laptop. Have you recently switched anti virus software to Symantec?
    Are you able to test the share/website with another computer (or perhaps a live disk)

Thanks for the replies...

I've made no recent changes to the server, and I doubt Samba is the guilty party. Also, my laptop isn't running any anti-virus software.

Streaming music to my Xbox with minidlna seems to have the same problems. Xbox is unable to play a song whilst laptop is unable to connect to Samba shares, but when the server recovers the Xbox starts playing the selected song. Also, whilst my Xbox is playing an entire album my laptop has no problems with connecting to samba or httpd. But when Xbox stops playing, the server starts freezing again.

My router seems to have updated itself recently so maybe I'll try another router tomorrow. Could that affect anything? All router settings seem to be the same as before though.

Regards,
    Charlie.

Linux Engineer
    Yes, sounds like it may be something in the network.