Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Here is our scenario, we installed OEL 5.5 on a new HP Proliat server after which, we ADDED a hard disk which was previously used as a primary ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem in mounting a Linux LVM

Hi all,

Here is our scenario, we installed OEL 5.5 on a new HP Proliat server after which, we ADDED a hard disk which was previously used as a primary hard disk with installed linux. After boot, we wanted to mount an fs from this hard disk so we tried: fsdisk -l

the result was:

fdisk.jpg

the fs we want to mount is /dev/sdc3 which is a Linux LVM, we followed a guide on how to properly mount a LVM and these were the results:

pvs.jpg
    lvdisplay.jpg

but after mounting the desired fs '/dev/lvsystem/lvorcl' we get this error:

mount.jpg

Could you help me with this? I am a beginner in linux administration so I am completely oblivious on what to do.

Thanks very much!

Linux Newbie
    I've never used Oracle Linux so I can't help much here. But if you get stuck and need some option to recover the data, even if it's not the best choice, here's a suggestion. You could boot off the old Linux disk, which should mount the LVM, then copy the data you need to an external USB connected drive. Then once you have saved everything you need that old disk can be repartitioned as appropriate, which will wipe out the old LVM.

Just Joined!
    Before mounting logical volume you have to format the logical volume with appropriate file system. Since your error message is wrong file system type, the logical volume is not formatted with appropriate file system. To check the file system type use
    Code:
    parted /dev/sdc print
    . If it's not the supported file format use this to format your logical volume
    Code:
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/lvsystem/lvorcl
    I don't know ext4 will support OEL 5.5. So replace ext4 with your OS file system.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nijinashok00 View Post
    Before mounting logical volume you have to format the logical volume with appropriate file system. Since your error message is wrong file system type, the logical volume is not formatted with appropriate file system. To check the file system type use
    Code:
    parted /dev/sdc print
    . If it's not the supported file format use this to format your logical volume
    Code:
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/lvsystem/lvorcl
    I don't know ext4 will support OEL 5.5. So replace ext4 with your OS file system.
    My assumption from reading the original post was that the goal was to recover data from the LVM. If so, you don't want to "mkfs" since it will create an empty filesystem making recovery much, much harder.