Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a few high level questions with regards to this setup and i hope you gurus can enlightened me. I have 2 nodes (A and B). With ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux HA clustering

Hi all,

I have a few high level questions with regards to this setup and i hope you gurus can enlightened me.

I have 2 nodes (A and B).

With Linux HA,

q1) Do i still need to sync data/applications between this 2 nodes or will it be sync automatically ?

e.g i got an app (myprog) running in background, if node A fail, node B will takeover by starting the app (myprog) on node B itself, but myprog must 1st exists in node B isn'it it ?

q2) I believe HA depends heavily on the heartbeat daemon, so therefore, if these related processes went down, won't my HA fail ?

where is these daemons installed ? on both node A and B ?

q3) I have read about certain apps would still need to be manually restarted or configured in a HA environment (warm standby)

I can't really picture out what kind of apps would require so in a HA environment ? (database?)

From what i see, if i have 2 sets of similar apps on both A and B, if A goes down, the apps will be start on B and that's it. (why would it still need any manual intervention ?)

Regards,
    Noob

Whats the software you are using to achieve HA?If you haven't decided on it checkout GlusterFS - AFR setup.

HTH
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by javanoob View Post
    Hi all,

I have a few high level questions with regards to this setup and i hope you gurus can enlightened me.

I have 2 nodes (A and B).

With Linux HA,

q1) Do i still need to sync data/applications between this 2 nodes or will it be sync automatically ?

e.g i got an app (myprog) running in background, if node A fail, node B will takeover by starting the app (myprog) on node B itself, but myprog must 1st exists in node B isn'it it ?

q2) I believe HA depends heavily on the heartbeat daemon, so therefore, if these related processes went down, won't my HA fail ?

where is these daemons installed ? on both node A and B ?

q3) I have read about certain apps would still need to be manually restarted or configured in a HA environment (warm standby)

I can't really picture out what kind of apps would require so in a HA environment ? (database?)

From what i see, if i have 2 sets of similar apps on both A and B, if A goes down, the apps will be start on B and that's it. (why would it still need any manual intervention ?)

Regards,
    Noob
    I would suggest that you have a look at this guide to get an idea of a practical example of Linux HA.

I didn't write it by the way, but I did help with some of the (poor) load testing.