Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm having a problem with logging in to fedora 16. I've been running it for a while with no issues. Last sunday I installed a new editor (kate) and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Keeps reloading ramdisk after login

Hi,
    I'm having a problem with logging in to fedora 16. I've been running it for a while with no issues. Last sunday I installed a new editor (kate) and a tex editor texworks via yum. Both installed with no issues and worked on the day, so not sure if this is related. The next morning I had trouble logging into my laptop. I get to the log in screen sign in and the screen goes black for a second with just a couple of lines of text in the top left corner saying 'Loading fedora (3.4.9-2.fc16.i686) Loading initial ramdisk'. Then its back to the login screen. On monday I managed to login after a few attempts but today it just keeps bringing me back to the log in. All I've tried is to enter the setup menu when booting and restore defaults. Anyone any ideas what may be the problem??
    Thanks
    D

Trusted Penguin
    it sounds like something got hosed with Desktop Manager related files in your home directory.

i would try two things:

1) Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F3, F4, etc.) to get to a virtual console login. Log in there as you, and look at the contents of this file: ~/.xsession-errors

2) Go to a virtual console and log in as root and tail the syslog, e.g.:

Code:
    tailf /var/log/messages
    Then bounce back to the graphical login screen (Ctrl+Alt+F1, or F7, it varies...) and try to log in as you, then bounce back to the root VT and see if anything is now in the log, referencing your attempted login.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    it sounds like something got hosed with Desktop Manager related files in your home directory.

i would try two things:

1) Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F3, F4, etc.) to get to a virtual console login. Log in there as you, and look at the contents of this file: ~/.xsession-errors

2) Go to a virtual console and log in as root and tail the syslog, e.g.:

Code:
    tailf /var/log/messages
    Then bounce back to the graphical login screen (Ctrl+Alt+F1, or F7, it varies...) and try to log in as you, then bounce back to the root VT and see if anything is now in the log, referencing your attempted login.
    Hi again, thanks for the reply but I had already gone ahead and completely reinstalled. A bit tedious but am up and running again...........