Find the answer to your Linux question:
I upgrade a while back to Fedora 17 using the pre-upgrade tool (never again), and I have had issues with slow start up times. I have narrowed this down to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

X11 issues on Fedora 17 after pre-upgrade

I upgrade a while back to Fedora 17 using the pre-upgrade tool (never again), and I have had issues with slow start up times. I have narrowed this down to a problem with the graphics driver. I also am having display problems when I attach an external monitor to my laptop, the entire system slows to a crawl. I have re-installed the xorg intel driver but that hasn't corrected the problem. LSMOD shows the correct item, but it seems that there is a config issue. By default, Fedora 17 doesn't create a xorg.conf file, so I am wondering if that is gong to do me any good. Any advice?

Trusted Penguin
    If you are passing a vga mode to the kernel at boot time, have you tried leaving it off? e.g.:

Code:
    vga=normal nomodeset

Linux Newbie
    So I am not sure where to look for that setting. I took a look at my grub2.cfg file and I don't see anything in there. All I have for video is the following section:
    function load_video {
    if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
    else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    fi
    }

I wouldn't touch that file. Try
    Code:
    yum install systemd-analyze
    systemd-analyze  blame
    Shows some interesting info on system startup times.
    Glenn