Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a system with P-III processor which works on 850 MHz with "siliconmotion" graphics adapter.My BIOS supports APM not ACPI. I installed a customized version of fedora-8 (only some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Display screen going blank

I have a system with P-III processor which works on 850 MHz with "siliconmotion" graphics adapter.My BIOS supports APM not ACPI. I installed a customized version of fedora-8 (only some application packages and services are removed, and all the driver packages are there).

The problem is the screen goes blank after half an hour or so, even if I have set the Power Management option to "NEVER" for AC power and Battery, and a gnome screen saver is also there.
    After this also the screen goes black/blank and never comes up on mouse movement or keypress, only option is to reboot the system. Also the vertual terminals are blank(Can't switch Alt+Ctrl+F1 etc.).

Please Help.

Hi and Welcome !

Post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

The screen blanking here is being done by your X server not by the secreen saver, so the solution is to change your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Edit it as the root user (use 'sudo' or 'su') and add these to the 'ServerLayout' section:

Code:
        Option      "OffTime"       "0"
        Option      "BlankTime"     "0"
        Option      "StandbyTime"   "0"
        Option      "SuspendTime"   "0"
    And if your 'Monitor' section has a 'Option "DPMS"', change it to "NODPMS". That should do it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/