Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello bronzed_bison, I am having exactly the same problem that you describe and I don't know what to do...here is my case: I just installed a trial version of RHEL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL6 configuration problems

Hello bronzed_bison,

I am having exactly the same problem that you describe and I don't know what to do...here is my case:

I just installed a trial version of RHEL 6 on my computer. Already in the installation process I noticed something weird - during the install process, there is a stage where you can choose to configure the network now...that button was grayed out and there was nothing I could do about it - and just like you, I also couldn't configure the clock...

Once the installation ended and the computer booted, there was no network. If I try to go to /etc/init.d/network, or NetworkManager - it doesn't exist - it gives me an error saying "lines such and such pertaining to network (dont remember the numbers) do not exist in /etc/sysconfig - i.e., there is no network configuration whatsoever.

I have no idea what I can do about this - I think maybe like in your case, RHEL is not recognizing my network card? How can I know if this is the problem? And how can I solve it?

I have two hard drives in this computer, in one, I have an Ubuntu installation, in the other, I have the RHEL.

This is the info about my network card which I took from the Ubuntu install (which has networking working 100%, out of the box, no extra config needed) - I have both ethernet card and a wireless card, both in the motherboard:

sudo lshw -class network
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: eth1
    version: c0
    size: 100Mbit/s
    capacity: 1Gbit/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.0-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
    resources: irq:47 memory:f7d00000-f7d3ffff ioport:e000(size=12
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    product: RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
    vendor: Ralink corp.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800pci driverversion=3.2.0-32-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    resources: irq:17 memory:f7c00000-f7c0ffff

I read all your posts with attention, but I dont have much experience and confess I got a bit lost - any help you can give me would be highly appreciated!

redhive

Quote Originally Posted by bronzed_bison View Post
    Hi,

I recently installed RHEL 6 on my machine (forgive the flavour: I don't have much of a choice in the matter).

The OS has been unable to detect my Ethernet network. This was foreshadowed during the install, when I couldn't connect to the Redhat servers or to the time-sychronisation servers. (this isn't a hardware issue: I can connect to the Internet through Windows).

I'm not sure at what level the problem is occurring. lspci spits out (among other things):

Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
    This is the right controller.

ifconfig spits out:

Code:
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:960 (960.0 b)  TX bytes:960 (960.0 b)
    This is just the loopback address. There is no mention of eth0. Also, there are no network scripts under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for eth0.

Some other people seem to have this problem as well, but I can't find any solved threads. Please let me know if anything can be done. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi, redhive. Welcome to LinuxForums!

Instead of leaving it tacked onto the end of a thread that was well over a year old, I moved your post to a new thread. You should get some better visibility this way.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much jayd512, you are absolutely right!

RHEL is a paid distro. You probably don't want that. If you do want that, may I suggest that you contact Redhat and use the self help provided with a paid subscription?
    If you want to try RHEL without paying for it, then look at CentOs. It's free.

EDIT: Just noticed you said a trial version. I didn't see that on their website. Do you have a CD/DVD? A Download?
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 10-17-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: see EDIT
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hi MikeTobb,

Yes, I have a DVD, I am studying for the RHCE exam and in my course they gave us this one month trial DVD for our studies.

In this thread (eth0-problems-rhel-6-a-3.html#post907854), the user bronzed_bison says he found a solution, I tried to follow his step by step but couldn't pass even step one as I did not find which driver to download from the broadcom site

Thanks,

redhive

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by redhive View Post
    Hi MikeTobb,

Yes, I have a DVD, I am studying for the RHCE exam and in my course they gave us this one month trial DVD for our studies.

In this thread (eth0-problems-rhel-6-a-3.html#post907854), the user bronzed_bison says he found a solution, I tried to follow his step by step but couldn't pass even step one as I did not find which driver to download from the broadcom site

Thanks,

redhive
    I would go with CentOS as Mike said, same thing as RHEL except it's free

As for your problem, you don't have a broadcom nic, so you can't get the drivers for broadcom. You need drivers for Atheros AR8151

Just Joined!
    ooops - my bad thanks for drawing my attention to it, I have no idea why I thought it was broadcom