Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax OZ is saying he doesn't even have an antivirus on his windows setup. I don't subcribe to his point of view. Sorry, but you are incorrect... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
    OZ is saying he doesn't even have an antivirus on his windows setup. I don't subcribe to his point of view.
    Sorry, but you are incorrect... I said that I went 18 months without an antivirus app or any problems on that Windows box. I have installed an antivirus app on it since that time (about 3 weeks ago).
    oz

Just Joined!
    So on Linux I'm safe some what with out an anti-virus tool,
    Can put one on if it makes me feel safer, just need to review the tools and decide if I need them.

Thanks to all..

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jlopes151 View Post
    I have read from Wikipedia Linux Malware that there was a virus called BLISS and another RST.b that had infected the Linux OS back in 1997. Also read that a virus has to get access to the ROOT user. That tools chrootkit is all that is needed. Are other Linux Virus protectiion apps overkill some what?
    You might want to check out Rootkit Hunter. I run it every once in a while, for piece of mind.

It is available in the Fedora Project's EPEL repo amongst othes. If you've got that repo configured and enabled, you can do:

Code:
    yum install rkhunter
    It is a simple command-line based program, it doesn't take too long to run, and often has interesting and eye-opening results.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Sorry, but you are incorrect... I said that I went 18 months without an antivirus app or any problems on that Windows box. I have installed an antivirus app on it since that time (about 3 weeks ago).
    English is not my native language. I sometimes can be wrong with the shadings.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jlopes151 View Post
    I have read from Wikipedia Linux Malware that there was a virus called BLISS and another RST.b that had infected the Linux OS back in 1997. Also read that a virus has to get access to the ROOT user. That tools chrootkit is all that is needed. Are other Linux Virus protectiion apps overkill some what?

james
    I started with Linux with the earliest kernels back in late 1991 on a 2 floppy Toshiba laptop and I have run Linux ever since on Mainframes, SPARC, PC's and ARM and I never come across this Bliss.

I know there were scare stories by the likes Kapersky Labs in an attempt to flog their wares to those who didn't know better.

The one I read about depended on a number of different things you had to be running at the same time.
    Besides Linux in 1997 and Linux now are vastly different but those coming from a Windows background think that a PC inherently has to be vulnerable to viruses.

Linux security is not and has never been that slack and dependent on some third party industry that has grown up around insecure and badly written PC software system.

By all means if you run Linux only and are of a nervous disposition or you run a mix of Linux and Windows, buy the magic potion so Linux won't pass any nasties on to unprotected Windows systems where they would cause maximum mayhem.

I would like someone to show me where I missed Bliss in 1997 - I must have been asleep or comatose that whole year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2