Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm looking for antivirus software for my Linux box. I don't use it much to surf the net so I didn't think to load one. Now thinking that was a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Loking for antivirus software for Red Hat

I'm looking for antivirus software for my Linux box. I don't use it much to surf the net so I didn't think to load one. Now thinking that was a bad idea.

Any recommendations?

Honestly, I've been using linux for quite sometime,never found any reason to use anti-virus (yet!). I heard few things out there : check out these
    The 4 Best Free Linux Anti-Virus Programs
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jlopes151 View Post
    Any recommendations?
    Hello

Take a look at the security apps listed in the following link to see if you can find something that will suit your needs:

Security | Linux App Finder
    oz

Just a personal preference here, but I'm partial to either ClamAV or AVG. I use them to scan files that I may be sharing with a Windows box.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Honestly, I've been using linux for quite sometime,never found any reason to use anti-virus (yet!). I heard few things out there : check out these
    The 4 Best Free Linux Anti-Virus Programs
    Anti-virus on Linux is mainly used so that if you forward anything that's infected to Windows users who are not protected, the virus is not propagated.

We have even been able to download Windows viruses and look to see how they were made up.

On one occasion a manager sent us an infected email which caused problems on Windows, on Linux the email wouldn't open.

I have been using Linux for quite a while also, like since the first kernels were put up for ftp in late 1991 and though the likes of Kapersky Labs have been putting out scare stories about Linux viruses not one has materialised.

I have seen the old false mantra that there isn't enough Linux out there for the virus writers to pay it any attention - as most of the internet backbone, Wall Street, banks, etc. and many of the world's stock exchanges run on Linux it would certainly be a huge target for virus writers and criminals causing maximum mayhem so that shoots down that argument.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Just a personal preference here, but I'm partial to either ClamAV or AVG. I use them to scan files that I may be sharing with a Windows box.
    I'm thowing in w/Jay here. I am partial to AVG, mainly because it is free, it has clients for Linux and Windows (both of which I use regularly) and Macs, and it has been proven to work for me in the past. Oh, also, I like being able to script w/it in Linux.

Just Joined!
    I have read from Wikipedia Linux Malware that there was a virus called BLISS and another RST.b that had infected the Linux OS back in 1997. Also read that a virus has to get access to the ROOT user. That tools chrootkit is all that is needed. Are other Linux Virus protectiion apps overkill some what?

james

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jlopes151 View Post
    Are other Linux Virus protectiion apps overkill some what?
    Hello

My personal opinion is that some users are more likely to get a virus than others because of their own Internet and computer usage habits. I have a Windows box that I ran for 18 months without any antivirus application at all and never got a virus during that time. Still, that left me at risk although maybe not as much so as some users would have been in that same position. So far, I've never used any antivirus software under Linux.

In the end, I think some users need all the antivirus and other security software help they can get while other users may not need it so much. If you are paranoid about security, it would make sense to install whatever apps are needed to leave you feeling more comfortable. On the other hand, just because someone "feels safe", it doesn't necessarily mean they are.
    oz

Linux Guru
    The wikipedia article states the following:

Although it was probably intended to prove that Linux can be infected, it does not propagate very effectively because of the structure of Linux's user privilege system. The Bliss virus never became widespread, and remains chiefly a research curiosity
    More info on "bliss" at the link below with other links with more details:

Bliss, a Linux virus

Using good passwords and running only known programs and doing only administrative tasks as root should prevent most problems. On the other hand, there are free antivirus programs available as suggested above that you are free to use. Although malware can be run on any OS, it would be more difficult on Linux/Unix because of the structure of the filesystem.

Linux Newbie
    If you don't develop, you may mount your /home on a separate partition, and mark it as "noexec" at creation time, instead of "defaults". OZ is saying he doesn't even have an antivirus on his windows setup. I don't subcribe to his point of view. I myself have an antivirus on my W7 dual-boot, I almost don't surf with it, and I catched SweetIM and Boxore, 2 annoying malwares I removed by removing their directory in "C:\PROGRAM FILES" with my LinuxMint dual-boot. I don't have an antivirus on my Linux computers since 16 years, and I never catched a malware of any kind...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast