Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I want to find anyone using USB device without administrator permission. I want to find both Linux & Windows users Please anyone help me to find out the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile To find anyone using Pen drive or any usb device in office

Hi all

I want to find anyone using USB device without administrator permission.

I want to find both Linux & Windows users

Please anyone help me to find out the solution

Regards

Jeyachandran

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

You need to provide a lot more information about your environment and what exactly you want to monitor. Also, don't expect too many helpful replies for Windows solutions in a Linux forum.

Just Joined!

Smile Employee monitoring

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Hi,

You need to provide a lot more information about your environment and what exactly you want to monitor. Also, don't expect too many helpful replies for Windows solutions in a Linux forum.

Hi,

Am working in webbased software development company. We would like to monitor our linux machine. I would like to install employee monitoring tool & to check anyone using USB Pen Drive.

Please guide me the best software solution

Thanks in advance

Though I haven't tried such things by myself. I think you should able to write some scripts and send mail to admin when such events happen.checkout these links :
    linux - Using udev rules to run a script on USB insertion - Super User
    udev-notify - Visual hardware notifications for Ubuntu
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Trusted Penguin
    I was thinking along the same lines as Lakshmipathi, udev is good here.

Also, you may want to read up on auditd, the user-space daemon that is part of the very robust Linux Audit System. Here is a link to the auditd man page. It can be tricky to set up, though.

Also note that you can probably get you want merely by setting up rsyslog on all your Linux boxes. You can configure them to all send their /var/log/messages log files to a central syslog server under your control. Each server you monitor can have its own log file on the central server. Then have some process read those log files looking for USB-device related events (which will be in there, if a USB device is plugged in).