Find the answer to your Linux question:
We are currently running about 80+ RHEL5 servers that authenticate to Active Directory (LDAP) and are working on developing a kickstart build for RHEL6. As I understand it, there are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Athenticating to AD

We are currently running about 80+ RHEL5 servers that authenticate to Active Directory (LDAP) and are working on developing a kickstart build for RHEL6.

As I understand it, there are some differences in how RHEL6 would authenticate to AD, but I'm very new to this environment and need some guidance.

Thanks to the power of Google, I've become more confused than ever as to how to set this up as there seems to be somewhere on the order of 6,395,148,412 different ways to do every single thing one might want to do.

Our current setup uses PAM, NSS and OpenLDAP (I think they're all involved in the process) to authenticate to Active Directory. It seems like there are new things in RHEL6, like SSSD.

I'm not even sure where to start with this. I've tried following a bunch of different forum posts, documents and such and have not yet found a way to make this work.

Where can I find some resource that can explain this kind of thing in a way that does not assume that the reader already has 425 years of Linux experience?

Any help, guidance, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeln View Post
    We are currently running about 80+ RHEL5 servers that authenticate to Active Directory (LDAP) and are working on developing a kickstart build for RHEL6.

As I understand it, there are some differences in how RHEL6 would authenticate to AD, but I'm very new to this environment and need some guidance.

Thanks to the power of Google, I've become more confused than ever as to how to set this up as there seems to be somewhere on the order of 6,395,148,412 different ways to do every single thing one might want to do.

Our current setup uses PAM, NSS and OpenLDAP (I think they're all involved in the process) to authenticate to Active Directory. It seems like there are new things in RHEL6, like SSSD.

I'm not even sure where to start with this. I've tried following a bunch of different forum posts, documents and such and have not yet found a way to make this work.

Where can I find some resource that can explain this kind of thing in a way that does not assume that the reader already has 425 years of Linux experience?

Any help, guidance, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
    I've written a couple of posts on my blog about RHEL/CentOS 6.x integration with AD.

Windows 2008

Windows 2003

This one for Windows 2012 I know is for the beta, but It should work fine for the RTM version