Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I had issues with F13, so upgraded to Fedora16. Upon finalising with the installation i got a msgbox telling me that gnome 3 has loaded in fallback mode ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Old VGA makes gnome3 load in fallback mode in fedora 16

Hi folks,
    I had issues with F13, so upgraded to Fedora16. Upon finalising with the installation i got a msgbox telling me that gnome 3 has loaded in fallback mode because my grahics card is not good enough. Its true my VGA is old
    Code:
    [pc@mypc ~]$ lspci | grep -i vga
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
    [pc@mypc ~]$
    So every thing is slow the windows keep dragging and living shade marks behind, my CPU usage in system monitor is > 95% * the time.

Is this because i used gnome? Should i switch to KDE or XFCE? Will this slove the problem or worsen it?

SPECS= p4 2.8 Ghz, ram 1gb space for fedora installation 10gb.

Trusted Penguin
    Yeah, you ought to switch out GNOME3, for sure. KDE might be better, but still a little bloaty, IMHO. XFCE would definitely be easier on your rig.

However, if you like the GNOME 2.x environment, then try Cinnamon, for starters.

Code:
    yum install cinnamon

Lightbulb

cinnamon is not my kind, but thanks. I will switch out of gnome 3, does this mean i have to run a new installation if am to use KDE or XFCE? will i still have my drivers for the E173 modem and firefox 7? thats one of my reasons for jumping to F16.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jonniemuk View Post
    I will switch out of gnome 3, does this mean i have to run a new installation if am to use KDE or XFCE?
    Nope, not at all. The KDE and XFCE software already exists in the Fedora software repos. To install KDE:

Code:
    yum groupinstall kde
    To install XFCE:

Code:
    yum groupinstall Xfce
    then log out, and at the login screen, you should be able to select the newly installed DM.

will i still have my drivers for the E173 modem and firefox 7?
    Yes, your kernel won't be touched and other apps (like Firefox) won't be removed.

Yeah i rolled back to KDE and so far its fine.
    Yes, your kernel won't be touched and other apps (like Firefox) won't be removed.
    True i stll have my E173 drivers, thanks but i miss gedit.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jonniemuk View Post
    True i stll have my E173 drivers, thanks but i miss gedit.
    just b/c you are using KDE or some other DM, does not mean you can't use gedit. Is it not installed? If not:
    Code:
    yum install gedit
    There may not be a launcher for it in the KDE start menu, but I'll bet you can add one. You could also add a shortcut to the desktop, or run it from the terminal.