Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all im totaly new to linux..i want to learn it.i have just installed rhel-5.2-server-i386(downloaded its iso image from i nternet) on my virtual machine. 1...how to know details of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy how to start with linux

hi all
    im totaly new to linux..i want to learn it.i have just installed rhel-5.2-server-i386(downloaded its iso image from i nternet) on my virtual machine.
    1...how to know details of what i have installed???i mean what how to do it in terminal by comand??
    2... is it some server edition of red hat?? is it ok to start with or do i need to go for some desktop edtion?? if yes,,where from i will get that on internet???
    3...what basics i need to know and check about operating system that i have installed???

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by syednasirraza View Post
    hi all
    im totaly new to linux..i want to learn it.i have just installed rhel-5.2-server-i386(downloaded its iso image from i nternet) on my virtual machine.
    1...how to know details of what i have installed???i mean what how to do it in terminal by comand??
    2... is it some server edition of red hat?? is it ok to start with or do i need to go for some desktop edtion?? if yes,,where from i will get that on internet???
    3...what basics i need to know and check about operating system that i have installed???
    Code:
    rpm -qa
    will provide you with a list of installed packages.
    2. Yes it's a server edition. Not sure where you got it from, but it's a paid version. I would suggest that you download CentOS 6.3 which is free

What is it that you are trying to achieve?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by manyrootsofallevil View Post
    Code:
    rpm -qa
    will provide you with a list of installed packages.
    2. Yes it's a server edition. Not sure where you got it from, but it's a paid version. I would suggest that you download CentOS 6.3 which is free

What is it that you are trying to achieve?
    THANKS DEAR FOR REPLYING
    Infact i just want to learn linux...i have been using windows,,but want to learn linux,,how it works,and how i can work with it...
    the ist thing i want to do is to do everything on my laptop with linux on it...for that i have initialy installed it on virtual machine so that i get enough used to it and then later shift to it
    so i will b asking lot of childish questions on forum being new to it

Linux Guru
    If you are just intending to learn to use Linux, I would suggest you go to the site below (distrowatch) and look at the listing of most popular Linux distributions. There is information on each of the top 100 and there are links to each distributions site where you can get more information. As indicated above, Red Hat Enterprise Linux requires an annual fee for support. I believe you can download trial versions but the version you have is outdated as indicated above and also the suggested CentOS would be better in your circumstances as it is basically Red HaT w/o trademarks etc., and you will be able to get updates.

At the site below, scroll down a little and on the right you will see "Page Hit Ranking" and you can click any link to go to a site with more information on that distribution.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Just Joined!
    thnx for guiding me...i think i should go for centOS to start with...thnx

Centos is a great choice if ya wont to start learning about Selinux, Iptables and all that, i hear Server ubuntu is coming along nicely also.