Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
im trying to install centos 6.2 on virtual box,,, the full installation was done sucesfully(as far as i know), it rebooted, but gives me only comand line to login, allows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy centos 6.2

im trying to install centos 6.2 on virtual box,,, the full installation was done sucesfully(as far as i know), it rebooted, but gives me only comand line to login, allows me to login from root user and then stays at that shell....is it not completely installed??why im not getting some desktop/gui???
    im attaching the screen/shell i m geting to start with.... even after rebooting, it takes me back here....
    Attached Images Attached Images

It seems, you didnt choose a desktop environment during the install.
    You probably have selected Minimal or one of the server types.

For a server, the console is the best choice. There is no need for a gui.
    But if you want to use centos as a desktop, you can still install the desktop related packages.
    Code:
    yum groupinstall "Desktop" "Desktop Platform" "X Window System" "Fonts"
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

syednasirraza . please check the runlevel in which you have booted after the installation.

you can check it by using below commands
    runlevel

If your runlevel is not 5 then do the below changes.
    a: init 5 - to switch over to runlevel

b: Permanent boot into runlevel 5
    filename - /etc/inittab
    set the runlevel - id:5:

If you have booted into runlevel 5, then you might not have installed gnome packages.
    As suggested by Irithori installed desktop packages.

if you have installed desktop packages and your display server is not starting then use below commands :-
    startx
    - prefdm
    to start you gui.

Keep status posted.

Best Wishes,
    Warm Regards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhil_shinde1 View Post
    Hi,

syednasirraza . please check the runlevel in which you have booted after the installation.

you can check it by using below commands
    runlevel

If your runlevel is not 5 then do the below changes.
    a: init 5 - to switch over to runlevel

b: Permanent boot into runlevel 5
    filename - /etc/inittab
    set the runlevel - id:5:

Warm Regards.
    hi dear nikhil...ist of all thnks for reply
    now,,,
    1...folowing u, i checked runlevel, i was in runlevel 3...so i changed it to 5 adn also did same permanently in /etc/inittab.... but now after rebooting, a progress bar starts running but hangs once it is completed...dont know why...but it does not take me ahead to ask for login option... i m attaching pictures of starting showing partial progress bar initialy, and then second picture showing complete progress bar where it hangs/halts.......
    2.... on my host operating system, im using ubuntu12.04,,, there when i checked runlevel, it was 2...even here its not 5, yet i m geting desktop and everything is working fine...would u plz explain this aswell a bit for me

login-progress-bar.jpglogin-hangs-here.jpg

Just Joined!
    Hi,

"i checked runlevel, i was in runlevel 3"
    Linux has 0-6 runlevels associated with it. As per your mentioned point.
    You might have installed Centos for runlevel 3.

0 - shutdown
    1 - single user mode
    2 - Multiuser with no nfs
    3 - multiuser text mode
    4 - officially undefined
    5 - multiuser graphical mode
    6 - reboot

You have to check whether you have installed graphical desktop environment and install it.

When the progress bar hangs just use any upward or downward arrow for which daemon it is taking time to load.

Host operating system has nothing to do with this issue.
    Keep me posted.

Best Wishes,
    Nikhil Shinde

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Code:
    i tried but got error as image attached.....
    error-yum.jpgerror-yum.jpg

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Your yum repository is not configured properly..
    Hence configure it as per the screen shot.

Best Wishes,
    Nikhil Shinde.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by syednasirraza View Post
    hi dear nikhil...ist of all thnks for reply
    now,,,
    1...folowing u, i checked runlevel, i was in runlevel 3...so i changed it to 5 adn also did same permanently in /etc/inittab.... but now after rebooting, a progress bar starts running but hangs once it is completed...dont know why...but it does not take me ahead to ask for login option... i m attaching pictures of starting showing partial progress bar initialy, and then second picture showing complete progress bar where it hangs/halts.......
    2.... on my host operating system, im using ubuntu12.04,,, there when i checked runlevel, it was 2...even here its not 5, yet i m geting desktop and everything is working fine...would u plz explain this aswell a bit for me
    Red Hat distros use run level 3 for command line mode by default, run level 5 for gui.
    Debian distros use run level 2 for gui. I'm frankly not sure what run level 1 is in Debian, probably just command line mode.

So, you can't run in run level 5 yet because you haven't installed the Desktop software.

It looks like your VM can't access the internet/dns. If you configured your VM with a static IP, you need to make sure that:
    1) You can ping the gateway (usually x.x.x.1, which is a virtual adapter of the host)
    2) You have set up dns, which is also usually x.x.x.1. (to setup network config in command line mode, easiest way is to use system-config-network command).
    3) You can ping public internet sites.

On the host (your ubuntu server) make sure IP tables is not blocking packets, and also make sure forwarding is enabled.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhil_shinde1 View Post

configure it as per the screen shot.

where is screen shot dear???which screen shot i have to folow to configure in correctly???

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Red Hat distros use run level 3 for command line mode by default, run level 5 for gui.

So, you can't run in run level 5 yet because you haven't installed the Desktop software.

It looks like your VM can't access the internet/dns.

On the host (your ubuntu server) make sure IP tables is not blocking packets, and also make sure forwarding is enabled.
    u r rite...my internet is not working on guest OS centos... but i hadnot given it any static ip...i just installed everything by default... but now when i check interfaces by $ ifconfig ... no ip address is shown with eth0... the only ip shown is of loopback,, thts of no use...
    so what should i do to make internet connected from here??/can u guide me some steps??
    secondly i have no blocking/filtering on host ubuntu...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast