Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am working RHEL 6.1, which is serving as DNS server and Directory server, i downloaded and configured "389-ds" directory server. I created some users in directory server, under ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

389-ds server authentication.

Hello,

I am working RHEL 6.1, which is serving as DNS server and Directory server, i downloaded and configured "389-ds" directory server. I created some users in directory server, under people OU, filled every detail including posix user details.

on the client machine which is running RHEL6, i joined domain, after that did authconfig-tui, checked ldap authentication, provided server details, didn't checked TLS. but still i am not able to login using id and password which I created in Directory server. if i run command :id mbisht(userid created on DS) it gives me information about that, but can't login using same id and password. also ran ldapsearch command I able to lookup directory information.
    Is there any other setting i have to do on client side or server side so that users can login. .

Just Joined!
    Hi

Check if slapd services are running properly.

Also check if you have enabled TLS on server side.
    if you have then, TLS runs at port number 636, and also confirm it is not blocked with firewall.

Can you list network users
    ypcat passwd

If all configuration done properly then u will be able to list users that you have created on directory server.

Keep posted,
    Nikhil shinde.

Just Joined!
    Hi tried above command and getting error message "ypcat: can't get local yp domain: Local domain name not set", i am not setting NIS, I am configuring LDAP server, I believe i am missing something on server side or client side, Firewall is turned off, when i run ldapsearch command i am able to pull records of Directory server. Its just i am not able login with user's configured on that server.

Just Joined!
    Hi

1: Have you properly updated password's for users on ldap?

Since you can perform ldapsearch, you have bond to ldap domain.

2: Check if you have enabled TLS on ldap server ?

Regards,
    Nikhil Shinde.

Just Joined!
    I think that is the problem TLS is not enabled, i am searching for documents in internet to create CA in RHEL and how to sign your own certificate, and import that in 389-ds. I believe TLS encryption is now mandatory for DS.