Find the answer to your Linux question:
In the course of a stupid hardware change (I put a second hard drive as a slave on the same cable as the CD rom drive), my Fedora Core 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CDROM munged - help!

In the course of a stupid hardware change (I put a second hard drive as a slave on the same cable as the CD rom drive), my Fedora Core 3 install must have changed something so that it thinks that the CD rom drive either doesn't exist, or is a hard drive, because I can't read from it any longer. When I try to use CD Disk 1 of the disribution to boot from (or to go into the "rescue" mode, it works, so I think that the drive is OK.

The security logs report the following error:
    Code:
    Dec 24 23:22:14 localhost sshd[2134]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.
    The system log:

Code:
    Dec 26 10:01:20 localhost kernel: cdrom: open failed.
    The boot log:
    Code:
    Dec 26 09:59:18 localhost mount: mount: mount point 0 does not exist
    Dec 26 09:59:18 localhost netfs: Mounting other filesystems:  failed
    My question is how can I either fix this, or remove it from the device list so that the automatic hardware detection program (Kudzu?) will find it?

Please keep the answers simple. I'm not quite a newbie, but close.

Linux Guru
    I don't know much, and you may already have got this far, but....

First things I'd check are these:

Code:
    #  cat  /etc/fstab
    Make sure that the entry for /mnt/cdrom is mapped to the correct /dev/hdx where 'x' is in agreement with the physical installation of the CD. If instead of /dev/hdx, you have /dev/cdrom, see the following (and do the following in either case).

Code:
    #  ls -l  /dev/CDROM
    (or is it 'cdrom'?) This should show a symbolic link to some /dev/hdx (see 'x' above).

And if that doesn't reveal the mystery, try unplugging the CD and see what happens: do you still get error mesages?

If any of this is unclear, please share more details. Because of similar, but easily resolved problems like this in the past, I make it my personal practice to always make the CD a slave when on the same IDE channel as an actual hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by scarter
    my Fedora Core 3 install must have changed something so that it thinks that the CD rom drive either doesn't exist, or is a hard drive
    And as you may have gathered from the preceding, Linux does see a CD drive as a "hard drive".
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info. I checked the fstab file and found two entries for the CD Rom drive. I commented out the one that looked wrong, rebooted and presto, problem solved.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close