Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, I have a question regarding NFS. I have a PXE booted linux setup via a ethernet network interface and the root file system is mounted from a another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Linux question regarding NFS

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding NFS. I have a PXE booted linux setup via a ethernet network interface and the root file system is mounted from a another
    linux host using that same ethernet network interface. When i try to change any ring parameters [using ethtool -G] associated with that ethernet interface link goes down
    and comes up back. But my system becomes unresponsive. I think while link goes down and up rootfs will be lost.
    can anyone please tell me is this expected or not? OR do we expect that rootfs would be mounted again and system should behave normally as it was before

Thanks
    Manish

Linux Newbie
    Hi.

I also had problems with NFS when using UDP. Now, I do mount my network shares using -o tcp . As you must know, tcp provides a flow control, and udp don't. Maybe you should give a try, hoping that the tcp flow control will restore your connection to root after changing your RX and TX ring parameters before the system hangs.

Just Joined!
    Thanks CaptainDangeax,

Here whole rootfs is mounted not particular file system/share. Regardless of tcp/udp if rootfs goes away would it be possible to have any client-server communication if link goes down and comes back up? while link going down all the configuration files etc. will be lost. Would that interface get ip again without any rootfs? I think whole services would be affected on client due to this.

How the NFS using tcp will work here? can you please explain more?

Reply appreciated in advance

-Manish

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by chopramanish1988 View Post
    Thanks CaptainDangeax,

Here whole rootfs is mounted not particular file system/share. Regardless of tcp/udp if rootfs goes away would it be possible to have any client-server communication if link goes down and comes back up? while link going down all the configuration files etc. will be lost. Would that interface get ip again without any rootfs? I think whole services would be affected on client due to this.

How the NFS using tcp will work here? can you please explain more?

Reply appreciated in advance

-Manish
    I must admit you put me in a no-knowledge zone. I have readen some howtos about bootp and nfs, and never saw any problem with this, but I also never saw anyone tweaking its network connection after mounting root filesystem via NFS. That's the reason I suggested having 2 networks, one for mounting your root once and for all, and another one you may tweak for better performance.