Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hai, Can anyone suggest me whether do we need antivirus for redhat linux. If so which antivirus is best for the RHEL and after installing of the antivirus on RHEL, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat Linux Antivirus

Hai,

Can anyone suggest me whether do we need antivirus for redhat linux.

If so which antivirus is best for the RHEL and after installing of the antivirus on RHEL, will it effects the oracle applications.

Thanks in Advance

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dp022 View Post
    Can anyone suggest me whether do we need antivirus for redhat linux.

If so which antivirus is best for the RHEL
    ClamAV is a popular option. That said, most linux users don't run antivirus apps and neither do I, but you can take a look at the following short article on Linux security to help you decide if you need any additional security oriented apps installed:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sec...-security.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I also heard about the clam antivirus is the best solution for the Redhat linux antivirus. But I just want to clear my doubts....

I think we won't get any support for the antivirus after installing the clam AV....right??
    &
    How many months this clam antivirus will work effectively??

Thanks in Advance

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dp022 View Post
    we won't get any support for the antivirus after installing the clam AV....right??
    &
    How many months this clam antivirus will work effectively??
    Re support: ClamAV has their product documented on their website along with a wiki and FAQ, but I don't know if they offer any other type of support.

Re effective use: Their product should work effectively until it encounters a virus not in the database, or until the version installed no longer works due to other system changes. They do have an End of Life Policy on their website that you can read for details.

I've never used or installed ClamAV, so can't really offer up much info or advice on its actual use. Maybe some of our members that use it regularly will chime in with some better info for you.
    oz

I've used ClamAV, but really just for the purpose of protecting Windows machines while sharing files.
    I've had Clam installed on Fedora, Slackware and Ubuntu/Mint. It gets updated to the most recent version during your regular system updates. In between updates, you can update virus definitions manually.

Look to the man pages and online documentation for more detailed info.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I just run a rootkit scan every few hours.