Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am dual booting (on two seperate drives) Windows 7 and Fedora 17. I installed windows first but after I installed linux it does nothing but boot linux no matter ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual booting with Windows 7

I am dual booting (on two seperate drives) Windows 7 and Fedora 17. I installed windows first but after I installed linux it does nothing but boot linux no matter what I do. How do I fix this?

Linux Engineer
    If you are booting on two separate physical drives, then you need to either manually update grub2 to make it see the other disk, or simply select the boot device in bios during start up by hitting f12 or escape or whatever your bios calls for.

Update grub2 route:
    I know it's from Ubuntu's docs, but this looks like it should work:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/CustomMenus

Read that page, and then implement example menu #3:
    Code:
    menuentry "Windows 7" {

insmod ntfs

set root='(hd0,1)'

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set a3f1ea41fc67a3f1

chainloader +1

}
    Fair warning: I have not tried the above steps, but they appear rather harmless.

Linux Guru
    Fedora has always been good at detecting windows systems and creating an entry for them in the boot menu so I would guess that you did not have the windows drive attached when you installed Fedora. The method to update grub to include other operating systems is a little different in Fedora that in Ubuntu and derivatives. The command should be:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    From the Fedora Project page this quote:
    grub2-mkconfig will add entries for other operating systems it can find. That will be done based on the output of the os-prober tool.
    Take a look at the link below for more info:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2?rd=Grub2

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    grub2-mkconfig will add entries for other operating systems it can find. That will be done based on the output of the os-prober tool.
    Interestingly enough, the very next line says
    That might however not work so well, especially not for booting other Linux operating systems, and especially not on UEFI systems. See GNU GRUB Manual 2.00~rc1 .
    I would say OS being on another disk is something that probably doesn't work so well, since it hasn't been discovered by grub yet.

I hate grub2.

Just Joined!
    Anytime I try to do the F12 thing it just reads GRUB at the bottom and goes ahead and boots up Fedora or not at all even if I unplug the linux drive. It wont boot Windows. I know Windows is still there though because I can see it i Linux as another drive.

It wont boot Windows. I know Windows is still there though because I can see it i Linux as another drive.
    First of all, fix Windows OS problem. Looks like you have installed GRUB in MBR of disk having Windows OS.
    Unplug disk having Windows OS. Does Fedora boot up fine after that?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    That might however not work so well, especially not for booting other Linux operating systems, and especially not on UEFI systems. See GNU GRUB Manual 2.00~rc1 .
    He is able to boot Linux (Fedora) and is trying to boot windows. I think devils casper is right but the OP isn't really posting any useful information so that he could get help. Where was Grub installed? Which disk is first boot priority? We have no drive/partition information??