Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I recently installed Fedora 17 (KDE) on my laptop. The installation went fine, but F17 is unable to detect USB drives that I am connecting to it. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation USB devices NOT detected on F17

Hi All,

I recently installed Fedora 17 (KDE) on my laptop. The installation went fine, but F17 is unable to detect USB drives that I am connecting to it.
    I use a 3G dongle to connect to internet. With USB devices not getting detected, I am neither able to install the drivers for this 3G dongle and hence not able to use internet at all from my F17 partition (my system is dual boot Windows 7 and Fedora 17).
    Everything works fine on my Windows partition.
    F17 is able to detect other Windows partitions on the hard disk and also able to detect the network interface (LAN and Wifi).

I normally do my personal work on Fedora and with no USB connection (hence no network) I am unable to use the F17 properly.

Please help me resolve this issue.
    Thanks in advance...
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo
    Setup: Oses: Windows 7 HB and Fedora 17 dual boot Hardware: HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop, AMD A8 Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, 1.5 GB dual Graphics card, 500GB HDD.

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

It seems very odd that Fedora cannot mount a simple flash drive. Is it formatted w/FAT(32) or something more exotic?

Does the drive show up in the output of dmesg, when you plug one in?

How about the output of this command, which will show all detected hard drives (run as root):
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    As a work around, you could boot into Windows, download the drivers you need to your Windows partition, then boot back into Fedora and mount the Windows drive and copy over the drivers, e.g.:
    Code:
    mkdir /windows; mount -t ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/<partition_name> /windows
    <partition_name> will be sda1 or whatever is the name of the partition on which Windows is installed (see output of above fdisk -l command).

@ atreyu:
    Some new updates.
    F17 is now detecting my flash drives and USB hard drives with ease. I have done no changes to the settings.
    However, F17 is still sluggish in recognizing the 3G USB dongle that also doubles as a flash drive.
    It detected it though, after about 5 minutes after I had plugged in the device (which is terribly slow by any standards).

After it got mounted I installed the required software from it, but nothing happens when I invoke software.
    It just shows me a waiting symbol for a minute and then no window opens and everything is remains as is.
    I checked the 'ps' output, but did not find any reference of the process in it.

I am not understanding what could be the issue even after installation of required drives, that is stopping me from connecting to network!
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo
    Setup: Oses: Windows 7 HB and Fedora 17 dual boot Hardware: HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop, AMD A8 Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, 1.5 GB dual Graphics card, 500GB HDD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    in regards to detecting it as a USB storage device, perhaps you need to use the usb_modeswitch utilty:

USB Modeswitch brings up your datacard into operational mode. When plugged
    in they identify themselves as cdrom and present some non-Linux compatible
    installation files. This tool deactivates this cdrom-devices and enables
    the real communication device. It supports most devices built and
    sold by Huawei, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Option, ZTE, Novatel.

although it sounds like the device is supposed to default to usb storage mode when first plugged in.

anyway, you can install it (as root) with:
    Code:
    yum install usb_modeswitch
    as to why your drivers are not making it work, I am not sure. Can you supply the device vendor/mfr information, or where you got it?

@atreyu:
    You are correct, the device mounts as a CD-ROM on my windows installation.
    I will install usb_modeswitch and check if it helps in detecting the device and hopefully my network will start working.
    The device is a 7.2 Mbps 3G USB dongle from ZTE. I got it from the service provider. It comes with Windows/Linux/Mac drivers.
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo

Trusted Penguin
    Try the instructions listed here. They are specific to Fedora 12/13/14, but hopefully they will work for you.