Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am relatively new to linux and have been snooping around for a distro i might like and settled on fedora x64. I tried the GNOME edition but was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Help, Running Xfce on top of GNOME

Hi, I am relatively new to linux and have been snooping around for a distro i might like and settled on fedora x64. I tried the GNOME edition but was not satisfied with the lack of configuration so looked into xfce. The installation DVD failed every time I tried it, but since I think it had to do with my laptop (long story), i installed GNOME because i had the disc.
    Once i installed gnome, i tried to switch to xfce, but i could not switch (only download) environments and google did not help. I went to /usr/bin and looked around and found some things with xfce labels and opened some to see if that would trigger the switch. I opened the right file, but it didn't get rid of gnome!
    Now i have gnome running literally on top of xfce. i just made the gnome menu really small so i can use xfce, but this is only a temporary fix.

I am Running Fedora 15 GNOME 64-bit, Please help.

Thank you,
    Antinoobygamer

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome,

Have you restarted the GDM (Graphical Display Manager)? You can just restart X to restart it (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). You should be able to select Xfce from the GDM if Xfce was installed correctly. Speaking of which, how did you install Xfce? Via yum, i hope.

Just Joined!
    It was through yum. I messed around with it a little and somehow managed to fix it. now when I get to the login screen I can click settings and pick my Desktop Environment.
    Is there a way to organize the environment programs better so I don't have "files" and "file explorer" next to each other on the menu?
    Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close