Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am looking for a complete step by step guide on how to get my system to dual boot Red Hat and Windows 8. I tried doing this a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Dual boot Red Hat & Windows 8

Hello!

I am looking for a complete step by step guide on how to get my system to dual boot Red Hat and Windows 8.

I tried doing this a while ago with Ubuntu and succeeded. However the Windows boot folder ended up on a drive that I only want for storing files, while the Windows system ended up on another drive. So I deleted the Windows boot folder using Ubuntu and then rebuilt the bootmgr with the Windows installation disc. This resulted in none of the operating systems booting. I have since tried reinstalling them both(Ubuntu and Windows) but I only get the one I install the latest to boot.

My partions currently look like this:
    Drives.jpg

My aim is to, instead of Ubuntu, install Red Hat on the 51.45Gb partion, which currently has a non-bootable Ubuntu. This might not be of any problem, but I want my Windows system to still boot.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome !

Windows 8 requires two primary partitions. First partition ( around 300 MB ) for boot files and second for OS files. I would suggest you to recreate partition structure of your Hard disk and install Windows 8 first. Leave space for Linux before starting installation.
    Unplug second Hard disk during Windows 8/Linux installation or disable it in BIOS.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First