Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, HD capacity 2 TB RAM 16G host Fedora 17 desktop 64bit virtualizer KVM VMs about 50~60 (not all running at the same time, only about 5 VMs running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

partition question

Hi all,

HD capacity 2 TB
    RAM 16G
    host Fedora 17 desktop 64bit
    virtualizer KVM
    VMs about 50~60 (not all running at the same time, only about 5 VMs running max)

The box is mainly for testing purpose and for storage of old files (old data).

My planned LVM partitions:
    /boot 1G
    /root 1000G
    /swap 10G
    /home balance.

Actually I don't need such a big capacity. The old data is about 300~400G. Where the VM reside? /root or /home

Suggestion and comment are welcome. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Trusted Penguin
    By default, libvirt will use this path for the VM images:
    Code:
    /var/lib/libvirt/images
    so in your case, it will use the /root partition. but when you run virt-manager, you can specify a new data pool and put all your images in that location (a.k.a., directory). or you can just symlink /var/lib/libvirt/images to the directory on the partition you wish. so you could do something like make a dir in /home called "images" then symlink to that.

what I do is set up my largest partition as /data then put things like VM images in there (e.g., /data/libvirt/images).

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    By default, libvirt will use this path for the VM images:
    Code:
    /var/lib/libvirt/images
    so in your case, it will use the /root partition. but when you run virt-manager, you can specify a new data pool and put all your images in that location (a.k.a., directory). or you can just symlink /var/lib/libvirt/images to the directory on the partition you wish. so you could do something like make a dir in /home called "images" then symlink to that.

what I do is set up my largest partition as /data then put things like VM images in there (e.g., /data/libvirt/images).
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

What I expect to achieve is putting all data including VM images to a directory/folder which won't be erased even in the worst situation I have to reinstall the OS. Would /data be the right directory/folder? If it is then I'll rearrange my planning as follows;

/boot - 1G
    /root - 600G
    /data - balance 1394G
    /swap - 5G

Please advise. TIA

B.R.
    satimis
    Last edited by satimis; 12-27-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    i would say that your plan for mounting your balance to /data is a good idea. that partition will be left alone if you have to do a reinstall. in fact, any partition should be left alone during a Linux install unless you expressly reformat, unless you let the installer try to reclaim space automatically. To hammer that home: if you do need to reinstall, be SURE to choose to do advanced or custom partitioning, so that your /data partition is preserved.