Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have been getting answers to RHEL problems from this site for a while now. I have a question though that I havent been able to find a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pushing updates

Hello all,
    I have been getting answers to RHEL problems from this site for a while now. I have a question though that I havent been able to find a solution to. On a network with no internet connection, what could I set up to allow me to remotely push updates I bring in on a cd/dvd?
    Thank you

P.S.-I'm still new but trying to learn fast.

Linux User
    Seasons Greetings.

My apologies, but what does 'remotely push updates' mean exactly? I am not familiar with that term.

Linux Guru
    I expect the OP wants to get updates on a system, copy them to a CD/DVD and then take the CD/DVD to the LAN w/o internet and install them.
    Your best option to get info on this would obviously be the Red Hat site. To use Red Hat beyond the 30 day evaluation period, you need to pay for support and this is the type of thing you are paying for.

Red Hat | Evaluation software download

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes I want to download updates on a different system connected to the internet. Burn these updates to a disc. Take the disc and load the updates to 1 computer connected to a closed network (no internet) and push the updates from that 1 computer to all the other computers on the network instead of walking around 1 by 1. Just looking for some software that would allow me to do so.

Linux Guru
    Take a look at the Red Hat link below. The Spacewalk program is open source but from the link below it does not appear to support Red Hat but Fedora, CentOS, Debian and SLE. The RHN Satellite program would work specifically on Red Hat but a subscription/account is necessary.

Spacewalk: Free & Open Source Linux Systems Management

Again, if you want to use Red Hat rather than one of the open source distribution, a licensing fee is necessary.

Just Joined!
    Thank you yancek. We already have a sub with Red Hat (sorry I called it RHEL in OP instead of typing it all out).