Find the answer to your Linux question:
previously i had win7 and feora 16 on dual boot. but win7 got corrupted and had to reinstall . since then the grub boot menu is not being displayed. is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux boot menu

previously i had win7 and feora 16 on dual boot. but win7 got corrupted and had to reinstall . since then the grub boot menu is not being displayed. is there a way to get it back or have to reinstall linux ?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameface View Post
    previously i had win7 and feora 16 on dual boot. but win7 got corrupted and had to reinstall . since then the grub boot menu is not being displayed. is there a way to get it back or have to reinstall linux ?
    Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Windows installations will always overwrite the current bootloader, but you can restore your Linux bootloader. There are plenty of different methods to do that, but the Parted Magic liveCD has easy options for restoring GRUB-Legacy (the previous version of GRUB), GRUB (previously called GRUB2), and LILO, depending on which bootloader you were using.

You should also check the webpage for whichever bootloader you are using to find instructions for manually installing/restoring it.
    oz

Hi and Welcome !

Its really easy to re-install GRUB2. Boot up from Fedora Installation CD/USB and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    su -
    mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
    umount /mnt
    Replace XY in first command with device name and partition number. Replace X in second command too.
    If / partition of Fedora is /dev/sda5, replace /dev/sdXY with /dev/sda5.

In case you have /boot partition too, use /mnt/boot instead of /mnt.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    No, you do not need to reinstall Linux. You just need to fix grub so that it sees both OSs.

Try boot-repair (from sourceforge.net), SystemRescueCd (from sysresccd.org) or Rescatux (from sourceforge.net).

(Sorry, I don't have enough posts here to include full links/URLs.)