Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just loaded Fedora Core 2 with a clean install. After it was online I let it do the updates. This might be a newB question, but when I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux version at boot up

I just loaded Fedora Core 2 with a clean install. After it was online I let it do the updates. This might be a newB question, but when I am prompted which version I want to boot - it looks like the default choice is the older version.
    Since I just loaded the system and did one update - I have two choices:
    Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.1_fc2)
    (2.6.5-1.35

The second is the default choice. I may be a Windows guy, but it would look like 2.6.9-1.xxx is the newer choice, but by default 2.6.5.xxx is the one that is selected and will boot if I am not there to make the change.

Is 2.6.9-1.xxx the one with the latest updates and if so - how can I make the one with the latest patches the default.

Thanks

V

Banned

Re: linux version at boot up

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx
    I just loaded Fedora Core 2 with a clean install. After it was online I let it do the updates. This might be a newB question, but when I am prompted which version I want to boot - it looks like the default choice is the older version.
    Since I just loaded the system and did one update - I have two choices:
    Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.1_fc2)
    (2.6.5-1.35

The second is the default choice. I may be a Windows guy, but it would look like 2.6.9-1.xxx is the newer choice, but by default 2.6.5.xxx is the one that is selected and will boot if I am not there to make the change.

Is 2.6.9-1.xxx the one with the latest updates and if so - how can I make the one with the latest patches the default.

Thanks

V
    Just remove the old one in grub (or use a #).
    This problem is solved in core 3.

Just Joined!
    Or change the default to 0 (for the first kernel) in /boot/grub/grub.conf!!!

taurus

Just Joined!
    Excellent, thanks. I thought I was losing it.

Thanks again

V