Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently upgraded my system from fedora 15 to fedora 17. Each time i boot the system, it gives me the following error: A problem has occurred and the system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install shared libraries

I recently upgraded my system from fedora 15 to fedora 17.
    Each time i boot the system, it gives me the following
    error:
    A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.
    Contact System administrator.

In the bid to diagnose the error, I did the following:
    1. I logged in to the console environment using
    Ctrl+Alt+F2

2. I tried to launch X and redirecting its stderr as thus:
    Code:
    startx 2> starterrlog
    3. I went through this log file (starterrlog) of about
    64 lines. The following are some of the errors I found
    in this log file:

Code:
    krb5-auth-dialog: error while loading shared libraries: libnm-glib.so.2 : cannot open shared object file: No such file
    	/usr/libexec/gnome-user-share: error while loading shared libraries: libnotify.so.1 : cannot open shared object file: No such file	
    	gnome-session[1294]:WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/Xloanx/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop: key file does not have key 'Name'
    	gnome-session[1294]:WARNING: Could not read /home/Xloanx/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop
    	gnome-session[1294]:WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/Xloanx/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop: key file does not have key 'Name'
    	gnome-session[1294]:WARNING: Could not read /home/Xloanx/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop
    	( tracker-store:1578  ): Tracker-CRITICAL **: D-Bus service name: 'org.freedesktop-Tracker1' is already taken, perhaps the daemon is already running.
    4. I further tried to search for any existence of this alleged missing libraries using the following:

Code:
    sudo find / -type f -name "libnm-glib.so.2"
    sudo find / -type f -name "libnotify.so.1"
    The above search returned nothing, so am ruling out the fact that the library is present but installed elsewhere.

So, looking at the errors above, i felt I can segment the problem by installing the specified shared objects but I don't know how to install shared libraries.
    Other suggestions on how to circumvent this challenge would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by habbay; 12-30-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: For proper comprehension

Linux User
    A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.
    Contact System administrator.
    Nice that it tells you exactly what the problem is.

Well, it looks like you're well onto the problem. You just need to figure out which packages have those libs and get them installed.

If the libs were there, somewhere, anywhere, ldconfig would have found them and you'd be all cool as a cucumber. Although I have had to edit /etc/ld.so.conf to add /usr/local/lib and then do ldconfig. A lot of my libs live there.

Time to analyze the packages that came with the new OS. It's just like Christmas!

for file in *.rpm; do rpm -qipl $file >>rpmdump; done

or some variant on that theme.

Sometimes "upgrading" is not quite the magic you thought it was going to be. Personally, I never "upgrade". I've had too many nasty issues in the past. I backup, and install from fresh and empty.

Peace and Cheer.