Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys! I've been an avid Ubuntu user for many years now and with the new releases over the past year or so I've felt as though Ubuntu is really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Considering switching to Fedora

Hey guys! I've been an avid Ubuntu user for many years now and with the new releases over the past year or so I've felt as though Ubuntu is really going downhill. It feels like a completely different distro to me, and when times like this occur it's usually when it's time for me to abandon ship and switch to a different distro. I used to use Mandrake for years, but didn't like it when it changed to Mandriva for example. I've also heard that future releases of Ubuntu will come with adware and spyware right out of the box, so that's something that's putting me off. Right now, I feel as though I want to switch to Fedora, so I was wondering if somebody could convince me either way! I'm not too sure what I'm actually asking, I just know that I feel like that I'm stuck in limbo and need somebody to guide me in right direction!

Thank you for your time!

Howdy and welcome to the forums.
    If you think you need a new distro then you probably do need to at least test the newest release of whatever catches your fancy. Fedora is an awesome distro and I think you'll like it. I used Fedora and even Redhat before it forked into Fedora, for a number of years. I really liked the RPM package management system. There is also a hundred or more distros to try if you don't like Fedora.

If you have a USB bootable machine and a spare USB drive, you might want to look at unetbootin. It allows you download and install without using CD/DVD media.
    UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

EDIT: I fix the thread title for you. It was mispelled. =-)
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 12-30-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hey MikeTbob, thank you for your reply. I do try different distros from time to time, such as Mint for example, however I always end up coming back to Ubuntu, I'm not sure whether it's because of the deb packages or the commands I know such as apt-get or whether it's just better 'the devil you know' so to speak. I'm just looking for a new distro to call home to get me away from Ubuntu. Isn't the latest build of Fedora similar to Unity? Or is that just a Gnome 3 design?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpock View Post
    Hey MikeTbob, thank you for your reply. I do try different distros from time to time, such as Mint for example, however I always end up coming back to Ubuntu, I'm not sure whether it's because of the deb packages or the commands I know such as apt-get or whether it's just better 'the devil you know' so to speak. I'm just looking for a new distro to call home to get me away from Ubuntu. Isn't the latest build of Fedora similar to Unity? Or is that just a Gnome 3 design?
    I'm glad to report that Unity is a Gnome3 only design. I use KDE4 and Fluxbox so I don't have much input on Unity or Gnome itself.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    See that's just the thing, I also don't like Plasma with KDE, I'm a creature of habit and I don't like change

See that's just the thing, I also don't like Plasma with KDE, I'm a creature of habit and I don't like change
    Awww, change is good. You should've seen Linux 10 years ago and you'd agree, change is awesome.
    Anyhoo, you can always check out MATE.
    MATE 1.4 released | MATE
    Fedora 18 will have it also (I Think).
    Features/MATE-Desktop - FedoraProject

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are thinking about switching distros, maybe consider trying Arch (or some other distro that easily allows for minimal systems) and installing only the minimal base system, then installing only what you need or want on top of that. You can install Awesome, Openbox, or some other lightweight window manager and stay clear of most if not all of that Gnome/KDE/Unity type stuff.
    oz

Just Joined!
    That's good advice, I don't hate eye candy, it's just the whole concept of Plasma and Unity with the widget style of menus is just not to my liking. I've been using linux for about 12 years now I think? When did Mandrake change to Mandriva, surely that was about 10 years ago? Certainly feels like it! I've used Arch ARM for my Raspberry Pi before now and it wasn't too shabby, I may give it a try on my desktop.

If you're considering Fedora, then you're not making a bad choice. I started out running Fedora Core 6, and kept a Fedora installation my machine up through Fedora 12. Very nice distro all around. And the yum package manager is similar to apt-get in many regards. Personally, I got a little tired of the 6-month release cycle, but that's just me.

After reading your posts, I'm thinking maybe a minimal install of Debian would do you well. Perhaps using the Testing repos so that your software would still be fairly up-to-date.
    This way, you'd have control of what goes on your box, and you'd still have most, if not all, of the familiar commands that you know from Ubuntu.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    When did Mandrake change to Mandriva, surely that was about 10 years ago?
    Yeah, it's been quite some time since they made the change. I used Mandrake many years ago, but never did get around to using it again after the name change to Mandriva.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast