Find the answer to your Linux question:
I’m running into issues trying to execute a .run file on Centos 6.3. I have both Gnome & KDE installed and I’m booting to the KDE desktop. At first, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem running 32-bit installation program on 64-bit Centos

I’m running into issues trying to execute a .run file on Centos 6.3. I have both Gnome & KDE installed and I’m booting to the KDE desktop. At first, the .run file wouldn’t even execute. Every time I tried to execute it I received “cannot execute a binary file”. I tried it running it from the CL & GUI Desktop. The CL tossed the previously stated error and the GUI did absolutely nothing. I’ve tried running it with “sh filename.run” * “./filename.run” with the same failed results.

I checked the file type with “file filename.run” and here’s what it returned: “ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped”. I did some research and found that Centos is 64 bit and this executable is 32 bit. The post I read said I don’t have the 32 bit libraries installed so I installed them with “yum install glibc.i686” per the posters suggestion. When I run the file from the CL with “sh filename.run” I get the same “cannot execute a binary file” message. If I run it with “./filename.run” it does execute and prompts me for the installation information like the path and such, but the installation is not execute in GUI mode. It runs like a normal script providing prompts on the CL for input. The problem is that not all of the inputs are displayed to the user or prompted.

Now I know this installation will run in GUI mode because I tested it on an old Centos 5.4 system I have and it runs fine and in GUI mode. I’m obviously missing some library or supporting Linux package and I’m hoping that someone can help me out.

Just Joined!
    I can't post links now so search linuxquestions.org for "howto-install-32-bit-libraries-on-64-bit-linux-using-yum-505352"
    you may also need to know what are the dependencies of this application.

Just Joined!
    check this link out:
    debian-administration.org/articles/531
    add three w first

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Three words - dependencies, dependencies, dependencies. When you install 64-bit CentOS, you were presented with an option to allow running of 32-bit applications as well as 64-bit ones. That would have installed most of the cruft you need, with the possible exception of the 32-bit GUI libraries, which you can easily install with yum. If you can reinstall CentOS from DVD, then that might be quicker for you at this point.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Three words - dependencies, dependencies, dependencies. When you install 64-bit CentOS, you were presented with an option to allow running of 32-bit applications as well as 64-bit ones. That would have installed most of the cruft you need, with the possible exception of the 32-bit GUI libraries, which you can easily install with yum. If you can reinstall CentOS from DVD, then that might be quicker for you at this point.
    I don't remember seeing any option during the CentOS 6.3 install that provided an option to allow running 32 bit apps. What step in the attached link should I have selected?

BTW, I selected Desktop in step 19 if that matters.

CentOS 6.3 Step by Step Installation Guide with Screenshots

Thanks

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

Re:
    Quote Originally Posted by kareempharmacist View Post
    I can't post links now so search linuxquestions.org for "howto-install-32-bit-libraries-on-64-bit-linux-using-yum-505352"
    you may also need to know what are the dependencies of this application.
    If the search for that does not work, see Howto install 32-bit libraries on 64-bit Linux using yum

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjscott View Post
    I don't remember seeing any option during the CentOS 6.3 install that provided an option to allow running 32 bit apps. What step in the attached link should I have selected?

BTW, I selected Desktop in step 19 if that matters.

CentOS 6.3 Step by Step Installation Guide with Screenshots

Thanks
    What did you select in the applications selection page(s) - Screen #20 in the Installation Guide Screenshots.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!