Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install F17 on my laptop (Toshiba A-665 ... 4gigs RAM, nividia gforce GTS350M,core-i7 1.7 GHz processor), but the liveCD boot freezes about 3/4 of the way through ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fedora 17 freezes at loading screen at CD-based installation

I'm trying to install F17 on my laptop (Toshiba A-665 ... 4gigs RAM, nividia gforce GTS350M,core-i7 1.7 GHz processor), but the liveCD boot freezes about 3/4 of the way through the loading icon... EVERY TIME. I've checked the image, the LiveCD (using Fedora 17s own media checker) and re-downloaded / rewritten the ISO about a thousand times now. Conclusion: the ISO is fine, the media is fine. The Fedora live environment just WILL NOT BOOT, i even tried to install other Distros of linux (Ubuntu 12.10, Opensuse 12.2) and both of them gave me the same problem exactly.

To clarify:

I turn on my laptop push F12 to select CD\DVD as boot device Fedora boot options appear hit enter on the first option screen flashes white-ish, little cursor at top left (about 3-5 seconds here) little icon appears on screen, starts filling up ~3/4 of the way through, the icon stops filling At this point the the CD Drive stops spinning, as does the disk-usage light on my laptop. And i can't open the DVD Drive tray, with no response AT ALL. No "could not find this, that, or the other thing" errors. No response at all from the keyboard, I have to hold down the power button to reboot.

I get exactly the same result (with different progress bar) when I select "Trouble Shooting" and then "Boot in something-or-other graphics mode."

please help !!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by makhzanji View Post
    I'm trying to install F17 on my laptop (Toshiba A-665 ... 4gigs RAM, nividia gforce GTS350M,core-i7 1.7 GHz processor), but the liveCD boot freezes about 3/4 of the way through the loading icon... EVERY TIME. I've checked the image, the LiveCD (using Fedora 17s own media checker) and re-downloaded / rewritten the ISO about a thousand times now. Conclusion: the ISO is fine, the media is fine. The Fedora live environment just WILL NOT BOOT, i even tried to install other Distros of linux (Ubuntu 12.10, Opensuse 12.2) and both of them gave me the same problem exactly.

To clarify:

I turn on my laptop push F12 to select CD\DVD as boot device Fedora boot options appear hit enter on the first option screen flashes white-ish, little cursor at top left (about 3-5 seconds here) little icon appears on screen, starts filling up ~3/4 of the way through, the icon stops filling At this point the the CD Drive stops spinning, as does the disk-usage light on my laptop. And i can't open the DVD Drive tray, with no response AT ALL. No "could not find this, that, or the other thing" errors. No response at all from the keyboard, I have to hold down the power button to reboot.

I get exactly the same result (with different progress bar) when I select "Trouble Shooting" and then "Boot in something-or-other graphics mode."

please help !!
    Does your computer have an Intel on-board GPU as well as the nVidia one? If so, you will need to disable it in the BIOS first. This is a common laptop problem these days. I have a Lenovo with both Intel and nVidia GPU's - works fine with Windows (uses Intel for most stuff, and nVidia for high-performance graphics), but for Linux you have to disable the Intel GPU in the BIOS since Linux doesn't yet support that dual GPU configuration.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!