Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Struggling to install dependencies

I've been trying to compile the Screem web editor and it was literally missing about a dozen dependencies. Well, after about 40 minutes of googling and figuring out which ones I need, I've narrowed it down to two which I can't seem to find.
    checking for SCREEM... configure: error: Package requirements ( gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6.0 glib-2.0 >= 2.6.0 libgnome-2.0 >= 2.13.7 libgnomeui-2.0 >= 2.6.0 libxml-2.0 >= 2.4.3 libglade-2.0 >= 2.3.0 gconf-2.0 >= 2.2.0 gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.8.3 gthread-2.0 >= 2.2.0 libgtkhtml-2.0 >= 2.2.0 libgnomeprint-2.2 >= 2.2.0 libgnomeprintui-2.2 >= 2.2.0 gtksourceview-1.0 >= 1.1.90 libgnome-menu >= 2.9.2 ) were not met:

No package 'libgtkhtml-2.0' found
    No package 'libgnome-menu' found
    Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Hi,

1. What is your distribution and version?

2. Have you checked your distro's native software sources/repositories for a pre-packaged SCREEM?

3. Have you tried using the native package manager (yum, apt-get, etc.) to install those missing files?

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Hi,

1. What is your distribution and version?

2. Have you checked your distro's native software sources/repositories for a pre-packaged SCREEM?

3. Have you tried using the native package manager (yum, apt-get, etc.) to install those missing files?
    Sorry, yes. I actually told myself to listmy distro and version prior to typing the message, I must have forgot.

1. F17
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

For instance, libgtkhtml-2.0 isn't there, however libgtkhtml-3.0 is, which I installed but it hasn't made a difference.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpock View Post
    Sorry, yes. I actually told myself to listmy distro and version prior to typing the message, I must have forgot.
    It's all good. The more you post questions, the better you'll get at remembering stuff like that.

For instance, libgtkhtml-2.0 isn't there, however libgtkhtml-3.0 is, which I installed but it hasn't made a difference.
    I see that Fedora most recently included the gtkhtml-2.0 header files and libs (in the form of the package gtkhtml2-devel) in the 15 release. You can force install the package, as it just install a bunch of header files to /usr/include/gtkhtml-2.0/ and the file /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgtkhtml-2.0.pc using the rpm command. Or you unpackage the RPM and just temporarily make the files available for compilation. I tend to favor the latter, I don't introducing non-native RPMS if I can help it.

In either case, first grab the RPM:
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Everything/i386/os/Packages/gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686.rpm
    If you wish to force install the RPM, as root, try:
    Code:
    rpm -ivh --nodeps gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686.rpm
    If you wish to unpack the RPM and temporarily access the files, try:
    Code:
    rpm2cpio < gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686.rpm > gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686.cpio
    mkdir gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686
    cd gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686
    cpio -idv < ../gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686.cpio
    Now create symlinks (which you can remove later):
    Code:
    cd /usr/include
    su -c 'ln -s /tmp/gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686/usr/include/gtkhtml-2.0'
    cd /usr/lib/pkgconfig/
    su -c 'ln -s /tmp/gtkhtml2-devel-2.11.1-11.fc15.i686/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgtkhtml-2.0.pc'
    now try to compile screem again. it should now find the gtkhtml-2.0 files it needs. if it doesn't, make sure the symlinks you created are working properly.

I haven't looked at libgnome-menu yet, but hopefully it will work the same way.