Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by stspringer How do I open a terminal Look for an Applications menu on the task menu bar along the top or bottom of the screen. Look for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

Quote Originally Posted by stspringer View Post

How do I open a terminal
    Look for an Applications menu on the task menu bar along the top or bottom of the screen. Look for GNOME Terminal, or Terminal. Also, you can try Alt+F2, which will open a "run" dialog box. In it, type: gnome-terminal and then press [Enter].

how do I save the file
    If you are in a terminal and using vi, use this key sequence:
    Code:
    :wq
    you might need to hit [ESC] first to get out of edit mode.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Look for an Applications menu on the task menu bar along the top or bottom of the screen. Look for GNOME Terminal, or Terminal. Also, you can try Alt+F2, which will open a "run" dialog box. In it, type: gnome-terminal and then press [Enter].

If you are in a terminal and using vi, use this key sequence:
    Code:
    you might need to hit [ESC] first to get out of edit mode.
    I have no application menu I have a black screen with login prompt then password prompt I log in as root then enter my password and I am then looking a a prompt [root@JOHNSAMDBOX~]# I tried alt+F2 nothiing happens I typed gnome-terminal I get -bash: gnome-terminal :command not found
    and back to the prompt.[root@JOHNSAMDBOX~]#

what is bash? I will google it today

Thanks

Trusted Penguin
    I have no application menu I have a black screen with login prompt then password prompt I log in as root then enter my password and I am then looking a a prompt [root@JOHNSAMDBOX~]# I tried alt+F2 nothiing happens I typed gnome-terminal I get -bash: gnome-terminal :command not found
    and back to the prompt.[root@JOHNSAMDBOX~]#
    Oh, sorry, man. I forgot you didn't have a graphical desktop installed. You are in what is known as a text-only environment. The black screen you are working w/is known as the console. The prompt is [root@JOHNSAMDBOX~]# and your shell is likely Bash. Bash is terminal environment (known as a shell) that provides you with a way to interact with the filesystem and other userland tools an utilities. Other shells are tcsh and ksh, for example.

Hopefully, there is a terminal (non-GUI) editor on your system. Likely, vi is installed. To see, type:
    Code:
    which vi
    and you should get something like:
    Code:
    /bin/vi
    assuming it is there, then do this:
    Code:
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
    vi ifcfg-eth0
    The vi command should open up a blank file in the terminal. If vi is not found, you'd get something like:
    Code:
    vi: command not found
    If it works, you should see a screen something like:
    Code:
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    "ifcfg-eth0" [New File]
    Then press "i" to go to INSERT mode, so that you can type in it. Then enter the lines we discussed earlier.

Then press the [ESC] key to exit out of INSERT mode, then type:
    Code:
    To write and quit the editor.

Just Joined!
    hey Atreyu it finally worked I now have internet here is what I finally wound up with in the ifcfg-eth0 file
    ifcfg-eth0 see pic

Then i ran yum groupinstall and that just listed a bunch of options
    then i ran yum install gdm and it started installing a bunch of packages.

Now I noticed that I have to manually run service network restart on a reboot and now it mentions I have a ifcfg-eth0.swp file and it says to delete it.

how do i Delete ifcfg-eth0.swp

and now how do I get my gui up? still no GUI

But I am making progress
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trusted Penguin
    Then i ran yum groupinstall and that just listed a bunch of options
    You want to tell yum groupinstall to install a group of packages. Try:
    Code:
    yum groupinstall 'GNOME Desktop Environment'
    Now I noticed that I have to manually run service network restart on a reboot
    To make it always start (as root):
    Code:
    chkconfig network on
    and now it mentions I have a ifcfg-eth0.swp file and it says to delete it.

how do i Delete ifcfg-eth0.swp
    Code:
    rm -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.swp
    and now how do I get my gui up? still no GUI
    once you run the above yum command to install the GNOME desktop and reboot, you should be good2go.

Just Joined!
    Hi atreyu

Well I'm doing great I have the gnome gui running automatically on boot up I created a user. I think I have to load a driver for my wireless card since the system doesn't see it from what I can tell but hard wire is good for now. Then I will try and set up where I can save my windows stuff to the Centos machine.
    Thanks for all your time and I am still open to any help you may provide. Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3