Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, I am using FC3. I managed to install mplayer and can use it from the command line without any problem. I also installed the skin and the gui for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help for mplayer

hey,

I am using FC3. I managed to install mplayer and can use it from the command line without any problem. I also installed the skin and the gui for mplayer, but have no idea how to use it. Could anyone please tell me how to start the GUI.

Also what other media players are available and can be used for viewing .avi files ?

thanks for your time

Regards,

Makarand.

Linux Guru
    To use the Gui mplayer, you can either start it from the start menu or type gmplayer in the CLI.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Another one is xine!!!

taurus

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    First, i apologise being not exactly on topic. However, i hope that you can help me.
    I'm using Windows2000 (again, sorry ) I've been using mplayer over a year and i find it very powerful player. In fact, it is the only player that can play mpeg-4 on my old laptop (P-II-233mhz).
    I want to find a simple gui. I've seen many advanced gui's for linux or macos, but i didn't find anything sutable for windows. All i want is only very basic things, like volume control, scrollbar, pause button, etc...
    Well, i've been searching to no avail for a long time, till i found this screenshot:
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/ima...windows-01.jpg
    This screenshot is situated at official Mplayer homepage.
    It looks exactly what i need. And it is for Win32!. I also guess that it is called "gmplayer" or something like that - that's why i'm asking you because you mentioned this "gmplayer". I looked at all avalable guis at Mplayer hompage but i can't find it . I've also googled for this gui w/o any results.
    Does anybody have any information where i can find this gui for Win32?
    TIA

Linux Engineer
    mplayer for windows isnt what i'dd recommend...
    if you want a small, rapid, MASSIVE codec support, easy of use, and Xtremly light weight, I would recommend BSplayer.

I know it isnt the exact answer you were looking at but I felt like sharing since you might have not know this great peice of software
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Enthusiast
    On Windows, I definitely reccomend Media Player Classic. It's opensource, and it utilizes the more advanced features of DirectX and other things. Also, the GUI for MPlayer under windows IS available from their site... I got it from there, it's in the same place the other windows downloads are.

On Linux, the GUI for mplayer is available as a separate RPM package, or, if you compiled from source, you need to add the "--enable-gui" option to the configure command: "./configure --enable-gui"

Honestly, MPlayer's real power is the command line. I've always found that with media players, there's too many options to make clear and easy settting dialogs. It just confuses me when I want to change some options.

The way I set it up is I made a bunch of one-line scripts to run mplayer with the settings I wanted for each file type, and then set Gnome to open those types with the scripts. For example, for AVI files, I have
    Code:
    mplayer -vo xv -ao alsa -vf pp,hqdn3d -double "$@"
    Then I save it as mplayer-avi in /usr/local/bin, run "chmod +x /usr/local/bin/mplayer-avi" to make it executable, and then set Gnome to open avi files with mplayer-avi. Very useful especially for OGM and MKV files, with tend to want differnet language settings for the same language...
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    Tkanks for the help.
    Yes i'm familiar with MPC and Bsplayer. They are very good, and very configurable and easy to use. I use BSplyaer 0.8 (i don't like 1.0) on my big pc. But if i benchmark some specific file (count total cpu time it takes) - mplayer still easily ouperfomes BS/MPc both in low cpu usage and especially memory usage. (i set all players not to use post-processing) I just wanted to watch movies on the laptop while on the ride ( it is very old laptop - p2-233 with 128mb ram and 2mb videoram)
    I have dualboot between mandrike and WinXP on my big pc. So i'm also a linux user. Do you think Linux would perform good on such old laptop?

Linux Engineer
    Yes it would!
    you can't get a "small" realease, and everything will run very smoothly!
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps