Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday, I had a power outage. Due to that power failure a CentOS 5.5 x86_64 Test server (UPS battery not yet connected) restarted. But the machine doesn't boot properly anymore ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Power failure - boot hangs (after enabling /etc/fstab swap [OK])

Yesterday, I had a power outage.

Due to that power failure a CentOS 5.5 x86_64 Test server (UPS battery not yet connected) restarted. But the machine doesn't boot properly anymore

It hangs at boot just when "Enabling /etc/fstab swap [OK]" is being displayed.
    To me, it looks like he hangs on the "entering non-interactive startup" or "Init : Runlevel 3" step.
    The X environment shows a total blue screen instead of a CentOS login

Other ttys don't help me... on everyone of them i see a blinking cursor with no possibility to enter data.

The server is a Dell PowerEdge T610 with hardware RAID 1 and RAID 5

I already booted with "linux rescue" via the CentOS installation DVD and did a fsck on VolGroup00.
    No errors were found...

I also tried to comment out the swap file in "/etc/fstab" but that doesn't help me either.

Other things i can try to get the server booting correctly?

Thanx !!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Boot from a rescue CD/DVD/USB drive and use fsck to fix the file systems on the system and other drives (if there are any). Then, use mkswap to reformat the swap partition and reboot.

Also, if you are using ext2 file systems, you can change them to ext3 (no reformatting required), which will recover a LOT better after some event like you experienced.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Did a second time a "fsck -f" on a with LVM written partition "/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01" on "/dev/sda1" but it doesn't indicate any errors.

I only use EXT3. I check my /var/log/messages files and found this after the crash

Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: dm-0: orphan cleanup on readonly fs
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: dm-0: 17 orphan inodes deleted
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

Could it be that the recovery was incorrect?

That "mkswap" command. How does that work exactly? Does it remove and reinitialize your swap partition?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by workaholicbe View Post
    Did a second time a "fsck -f" on a with LVM written partition "/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01" on "/dev/sda1" but it doesn't indicate any errors.

I only use EXT3. I check my /var/log/messages files and found this after the crash

Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: dm-0: orphan cleanup on readonly fs
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: dm-0: 17 orphan inodes deleted
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
    Jan 9 07:57:28 MyTestServer kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

Could it be that the recovery was incorrect?

That "mkswap" command. How does that work exactly? Does it remove and reinitialize your swap partition?
    mkswap will reinitialize it only. You may need to correct the swap entry in /etc/fstab if it specifies a named partition. You can give the swap partition a name with the -L option to mkswap, as in "mkswap -L swapname /dev/sda3", assuming that /dev/sda3 is the swap partition.

Just Joined!
    Before i wanted to try your suggestion of mkswap, i tried to backup the data (even if we speak about a testserver...i liked to save my previous work ).

I went into the single-user mode, but i did a last test to narrow the problem.
    I ran "init 3" command in that single-user mode.
    That led me to something else. I saw the systeem booting up all the services until just behind the "S98Avahi-daemon" service. That's "S99firstboot". Is that still related with the mentionned "swap" thingy?
    Last edited by workaholicbe; 01-17-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Avahi is related to network / DNS configuration. It may cause network problems, but likely not what you are experiencing.

Linux Engineer
    Sounds like you were able to boot into single user mode. Booting into single user mode and check dmesg.