Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Krendoshazin
  • 1 Post By jayd512
Hi, I want to know whether DNS configured or not in the REDHAT LINUX Server...How to find this out ? Can anybody help me with the commands...Please ? Regards, Aparna....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

DNS configuration ...How to know ?

Hi,

I want to know whether DNS configured or not in the REDHAT LINUX Server...How to find this out ?

Can anybody help me with the commands...Please ?

Regards,
    Aparna.

Just Joined!
    Check whether named is installed or not
    for rpm installation rpm -q bind or rpm -qa |grep bind
    for tar installation just search for named find / -name named

Check named.conf for configuration.

The easiest way to find out would be to go to the server itself and set its DNS to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    krendoshazin@webserver:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    domain corp.enterprise.local
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    and then perform an nslookup
    Code:
    krendoshazin@webserver:~$ nslookup www.amazon.co.uk
    Server:         127.0.0.1
    Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:   www.amazon.co.uk
    Address: 178.236.7.220
    If you have records for a URL stored in DNS, then you'll also be able to query those and get a result.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redhat70 View Post
    Hi,
    I want to know whether DNS configured or not in the REDHAT LINUX Server...How to find this out ?
    Can anybody help me with the commands...Please ?
    If you're an administrator who doesnt know how to check running services, you're in trouble And why can't you look up a command on your own instaed of having others spoon feed it to you?

try chkconfig and look for named or bind, or try running the init script from /etc/init.d for that serviec as /etc/init.d/named status.

Quote Originally Posted by jake19 View Post
    If you're an administrator who doesnt know how to check running services, you're in trouble And why can't you look up a command on your own instaed of having others spoon feed it to you?

try chkconfig and look for named or bind, or try running the init script from /etc/init.d for that serviec as /etc/init.d/named status.
    Now now, calm down. No need to go chastising people for your own enjoyment. A saying I like goes like this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. I realize you may be tired of having to explain things to people but that's what this forum is all about. It's up to you to use patience if you choose to respond.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Now now, calm down. No need to go chastising people for your own enjoyment. A saying I like goes like this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. I realize you may be tired of having to explain things to people but that's what this forum is all about. It's up to you to use patience if you choose to respond.
    And it's up to HIM to actually show some effort and try to learn. Read his otherposts....needing help is one thing. asking to be bottle fed because you dont want to look things up yourself is another

you want to help him, then post a reply to him.

And it's up to HIM to actually show some effort and try to learn. Read his otherposts....needing help is one thing. asking to be bottle fed because you dont want to look things up yourself is another.
    This is the 5th topic of his that you've replied to, in fact those are the only topics that you have replied to. It seems to me like you have a personal vendetta against this user. If you continue with this treatment then you'll very likely be heading towards a ban as this is very much starting to look like harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    If you continue with this treatment then you'll very likely be heading towards a ban as this is very much starting to look like harassment.
    I'll agree with that statement. Helpful sarcasm is one thing. Pointing out and criticizing a lack of knowledge/experience is totally uncalled for on this forum.

redhat70, have you looked into the suggestions from Post #3?
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I'll agree with that statement. Helpful sarcasm is one thing. Pointing out and criticizing a lack of knowledge/experience is totally uncalled for on this forum.
    Lack of knowledge and experience is one thing...asking a question because you're stuck and can't figure out how to proceed is when you need help

not bothering to even try to get an answer on your own or show any effort is something different
    redhat70, have you looked into the suggestions from Post #3?
    Post 3 is one way of doing it but not the easiest wouldnt the easiest way be to just check the service and see if its running, instead of edting conf files?

Lack of knowledge and experience is one thing...asking a question because you're stuck and can't figure out how to proceed is when you need help

not bothering to even try to get an answer on your own or show any effort is something different
    Post 3 is one way of doing it but not the easiest wouldnt the easiest way be to just check the service and see if its running, instead of edting conf files?
    *PM sent to Jake19*
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.