Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm currently running CentOS 6.3 with the Kernel: 2.6.32-279.e16.x86_64. I am using VMware vSphere 5.0.0. I have unpacked the kernel file and started the installation process. Near the end, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CentOS: Error installing lastest kernel 3.7.4

Hello. I'm currently running CentOS 6.3 with the Kernel: 2.6.32-279.e16.x86_64. I am using VMware vSphere 5.0.0. I have unpacked the kernel file and started the installation process. Near the end, it shows the error:
    ErrorKernel.jpg

I used this tutorial: www dot tecmint dot com/kernel-3-5-released-install-compile-in-redhat-centos-and-fedora/
    When I try the "uname -r" command, I still have the old kernel.
    Does anyone know of a fix? Seen anything like this before?
    Last edited by deeek; 01-25-2013 at 04:06 AM.

I'm going to guess that you're not booting into the new kernel. Can you post the contents of your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file ?
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    I'm going to guess that you're not booting into the new kernel. Can you post the contents of your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file ?
    Meton_magis,

Thank you for the response! I feel silly about that easy configuration fix. I modified the 'grub.conf' file and set the "default=0" instead of 1. The new kernel was listed but was still loading the old kernel. Success!