Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Update: I found out the major glitch was a problem involving the nouveau video driver and Linux kernel that affects some older NVIDIA video cards on 32-bit machines. I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Update:

I found out the major glitch was a problem involving the nouveau video driver and Linux kernel that affects some older NVIDIA video cards on 32-bit machines. I was getting a dmesg of "[ 3.782463] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon". Some Googling indicated that at present the only solution is to install the NVIDIA proprietary driver. I have done that and will see if that solves the problem.

I have a promising new build of BOINC running. I'll keep it running for a few days to see if any problems develop before I post instructions on how to put it together.

Rev 1.01 is out! My apologies for taking so long, but I ran into some problems. Despite passing memtest86 a couple of weeks ago, my 32-bit computer eventually died with a parity circuit failure beep code. In retrospect it is hard to know what was giving me more trouble--my bad BOINC builds or random memory errors. Anyway, I moved the Fedora 18 installation to a 64-bit computer that used to have Mac OSX on it, and proceeded from there. Another problem is that it takes about 24 hours for Test4Theory to complete a single work unit, so testing my BOINC builds took a while. The latest build has completed six work units, and all of the features work, so I guess it is ready for prime time.

HOW TO SET UP VIRTUALBOX AND BOINC CLIENT FOR TEST4THEORY ON FEDORA 18 (REV 1.01)

A note for 32-bit computer users. The regular 32-bit linux kernel will only address about 3 GB of physically installed memory. If you want to make use of all of the memory on your computer, you may want to use the PAE kernel. To do this, in the list of dependencies below, substitute "kernel-PAE-devel" and "kernel-PAE" for "kernel-devel". Also there may be an issue with the nouveau driver on 32-bit Fedora 18 that causes gpu lockups on NVIDIA video cards. If this happens to you you may want to install the NVIDIA proprietary driver.

First you will want to install the necessary dependencies (some of these may already be on your computer):
    Code:
    sudo yum install subversion make m4 libtool autoconf automake gcc gcc-c++ pkgconfig sqlite libsqlite-devel openssl-devel libcurl-devel wxGTK-devel libjpeg-devel libX11-devel libnotify-devel SDL kernel-devel dkms libXmu-devel libstdc++-static mesa-libGLU-devel mesa-libGL-devel gtk2-devel
    Make sure all of the software on your computer is updated:
    Code:
    sudo yum update
    And then reboot your computer.

INSTALLING VIRTUALBOX

Test4Theory has a problem with VirtualBox 4.2.6, so we will be using version 4.2.4. Go to Index of /virtualbox/4.2.4/ and download the *.run file for your computer's architecture. Then run the script:
    Code:
    sudo sh VirtualBox-4.2.4-81684-Linux_amd64.run
    INSTALLING WXWIDGETS FROM SOURCE

Go to wxWidgets and get the latest development release of wxWidgets. Right now that is version 2.9.4. Extract the archive and cd into the directory that is created and do:
    Code:
    sudo ./configure --with-gtk --disable-shared
    sudo  make
    sudo make install
    sudo make clean
    INSTALLING FREEGLUT FROM SOURCE

Go to The freeglut Project :: About and download version 2.6.0. (It would be nice to use 2.8.0 but I got a make error I could not resolve with that version.) Extract the archive and cd into the created directory. Using your favorite text editor, make a small change to the configure.ac file. Under "checks for programs", add "AM_PROG_AR" And then do:
    Code:
    sudo ./configure --enable-static
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo make clean
    INSTALLING BOINC CLIENT FROM SOURCE

First create a development directory for BOINC and go into it:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/BOINCdev
    cd ~/BOINCdev
    Next get the BOINC client:
    Code:
    svn co http://boinc.berkeley.edu/svn/tags/boinc_core_release_7_0_28
    A directory will be created. Go ahead and cd into it:
    Code:
    cd ~/BOINCdev/boinc_core_release_7_0_28
    Using your favortie text editor, make a small change to the configure.ac file. Add "ACPROG_OBJCXX" under "dnl Checks for programs". And then do:
    Code:
    sudo ./_autosetup
    sudo ./configure --disable-server --enable-client CXXFLAGS="-O3"
    sudo make
    cd ~/BOINCdev/boinc_core_release_7_0_28/packages/generic/sea
    sudo make
    This will create a script file in the sea directory that you will want to copy to a safe place:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/Scripts
    cp boinc_7.0.28_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh ~/Scripts
    Run the boinc script:
    Code:
    cd ~/Scripts
    ./boinc_7.0.28_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh
    This will create a BOINC directory. Go ahead and cd into it, and to start BOINC, do:
    Code:
    ./run_manager
    BOINC Manager will come up, followed by several dialog boxes. The first asks you to add a project, so add Test4Theory. Then a box will ask you to either create a Test4Theory account or log into an existing account. Once you have finished with all of this, BOINC Manager will download the virtual machine from CERN, which takes a while. When that is finished, BOINC Manager will open VirtualBox and you will have to click OK on a couple of dialog boxes to get the virtual machine started. After a few more minutes the virtual machine will download a job and start on its first work unit.

BOINC has some default preferences that should work OK, but you will probably want to go to the Test4Theory website and set up your own computing preferences. These will be downloaded and used when a work unit is started. To get there, click on View, then on Simple View, then on Project Webpages. This will take you to the project site. Go ahead and log in and then click on Your Account and then on Computing Preferences. To modify your preferences, click on Edit Preferences down at the very bottom of the page.

SOME HINTS ON USING BOINC MANAGER AND VIRTUALBOX

To see some neat stuff, click on the VirtualBox window and then on "capture". From here you can use ALT-F1 through ALT-F5. To get back control of your mouse, hit the right CTRL key.

To see the results of some of the work you have gotten done, open a web browser and go to "http://localhost:7859"

Here is the proper way to shut down BOINC Manager:
    1. Go to the Tasks tab and highlight the Test4Theory project with your mouse.
    2. Click on Suspend.
    3. Click on File, and then on Exit BOINC.
    4. An exit confirmation box will pop up. Click OK.

A known issue: I've found that most of the tool bar in BOINC Manager is obscured when it is first run. This can be corrected by minimizing and then maximizing the window so that it gets redrawn.
    Last edited by hagfish52; 02-24-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2