Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Test4Theory is a particle interaction simulation developed by CERN to run under BOINC and VirtualBox. The program actually runs on Scientific Linux inside VirtualBox. However, for arcane reasons the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to set up VirtualBox and BOINC Client for Test4Theory on Fedora 18

Hi,

Test4Theory is a particle interaction simulation developed by CERN to run under BOINC and VirtualBox. The program actually runs on Scientific Linux inside VirtualBox. However, for arcane reasons the regular yum rpm distributions of BOINC and VirtualBox won't do the job on Fedora. So some fiddling around is required. In particular, the BOINC client has to be compiled from source. This is how you get everything working:

First, to install all of the necessary dependencies do:
    Code:
    sudo yum install subversion make m4 libtool autoconf automake gcc-c++ pkgconfig libsqlite3x-devel openssl-devel libcurl-devel wxGTK-devel libjpeg-turbo-devel libX11-devel libnotify-devel SDL kernel-devel gcc dkms glut-devel libXmu-devel
    INSTALLING VIRTUALBOX

Test4Theory has a problem using the latest version of VirtualBox, so we are going to use an old build from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_1. Get the "Beefy Miracle" Fedora 17 build of VirtualBox 4.1. It seems to work OK with Fedora 18.

Set an environment variable:
    Code:
    sudo export KERN_DIR=/usr/src/kernels/3.7.2-204.fc18.i686
    (put the results of "uname -r" in for the name of the last directory if you are using a different kernel)

CD into the directory where you downloaded the rpm and do:
    Code:
    rpm -ivh VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.24_82872_fedora17-1.i686.rpm
    to install the rpm.

INSTALLING WXWIDGETS FROM SOURCE

Get the source code of the latest development release of wxWidgets from Downloads - wxWidgets. Right now that is version 2.9.4. Extract the archive, cd into the resulting directory, and do:
    Code:
    sudo ./configure --with-gtk --disable-shared
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo make clean
    INSTALLING BOINC CLIENT FROM SOURCE

Create a development directory and cd into it:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/BOINCdev
    cd ~/BOINCdev
    Get the source code from the subversion repository, and cd into its directory:
    Code:
    sudo svn co http://boinc.berkeley.edu/svn/tags/boinc_client_release_7_0_28
    cd ~/BOINCdev/boinc_client_release_7_0_28
    A small change has to be made to the configure.ac file in this directory. Using sudo and your favorite text editor, under the section where it says "dnl Checks for programs", add "AC_PROG_OBJCXX".

Now for the compilation:
    Code:
    sudo ./_autosetup
    sudo ./configure --disable-server --enable-client CXXFLAGS="-O3"
    sudo make
    cd ~/BOINCdev/boinc_client_release_7_0_28/packages/generic/sea
    sudo make
    What all this has done is it made a script containing an archive that will be used to create a BOINC directory that has run_manager in it. To find it,
    Code:
    cd ~/BOINCdev/boinc_client_release_7_0_28/packages/generic/sea
    ls
    You should see boinc_7.0.28_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh. Copy this to a safe place:
    Code:
    cp boinc_7.0.28_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh ~boinc_7.0.28_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh
    Run the script:
    Code:
    cd ~
    sudo ./boinc_7.0.28_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh
    This will create a BOINC directory. To start BOINC, cd into it and run:
    Code:
    sudo ./run_manager
    AND THAT'S IT!

Cleanup:
    Code:
    cd  ~/BOINCdev/boinc_client_release_7_0_28/packages/generic/sea
    sudo make clean
    cd ..
    cd ..
    cd ..
    sudo make clean
    cd  ~
    sudo rm -r BOINCdev
    Similarly, remove the wxWidgets directory with rm -r.
    Last edited by hagfish52; 01-27-2013 at 10:52 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, other than the exercise in making this work with FC18 is there any reason why you didn't go with SL or CentOS instead, and avoid all that pain an suffering?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Pain and suffering? Hey, it was fun to figure it all out!

Actually this fulfills a need. A lot of Fedora users have been unable to get Test4Theory to run on their machines, and have been sitting on their hands waiting for the Fedora package maintainers to come out with a version of BOINC client they can use (which might not happen). I've put a link to this article on the Test4Theory forum so Fedora users can get involved in the project too. Hopefully that will rope in some more contributors for CERN.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagfish52 View Post
    Pain and suffering? Hey, it was fun to figure it all out!

Actually this fulfills a need. A lot of Fedora users have been unable to get Test4Theory to run on their machines, and have been sitting on their hands waiting for the Fedora package maintainers to come out with a version of BOINC client they can use (which might not happen). I've put a link to this article on the Test4Theory forum so Fedora users can get involved in the project too. Hopefully that will rope in some more contributors for CERN.
    Good for you! And thanks for the links and instructions/code. FWIW, my wife is a particle physicist working in the computing division of Fermi Lab and works on a lot of the code that runs at CERN. Don't know if she works on this stuff or not, but I'll ask her.

A couple of corrections:

It is not necessary to use sudo with "./boinc_7.0.28_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh" or with "./run_manager". In fact, if you use sudo with "./run_manager" you won't be able to shutdown BOINC Manager properly from the desktop.

Some tips:

The proper way to shutdown Test4Theory is to first exit BOINC Manager. This will give you a dialog box allowing you to close VirtualBox.

To see some neat stuff, click in the VirtualBox window, click "Capture", and try Alt-F1, Alt-F2, Alt-F3, Alt-F4, and Alt-F5. To regain control of your mouse and keyboard, hit the right CTRL key.

For you physicists out there, if you would like to take a look at the histograms you have generated, open a web browser and go to "http://localhost:7859/"
    Last edited by hagfish52; 01-29-2013 at 01:30 PM.

The build of BOINC I have posted here results in a memory leak that eventually freezes my computer, even with the PAE kernel installed. I will post again when I have come up with a solution.

The build of BOINC I have posted here results in a memory leak that eventually freezes my computer, even with the PAE kernel installed. I will post again when I have come up with a solution.
    Have you tried running on a real 64-bit set of gear in x86_64 mode? It may be a memory leak, or it may just want MORE memory than you can give it! Either case will behave in similar fashion, for the most part.

Hi Rubberman,

Unfortunately the only 64-bit machine I have (besides the Hackintosh) runs Windows for my telecommute job--don't want to mess with that! The 32-bit computer I am trying to run BOINC on is running the Fedora PAE kernel now and it sees 8 GB with "free -m". Surely that is enough RAM? The MB is an old Tyan server MB using two dual-core Intel Sossaman processors.

Just to make sure I leave no stone unturned, I am going to run memtest on the computer overnight. The memory I used when building the computer was "pre-owned", so who knows?

BTW, if anyone else wants to work on this too, you are welcome.

Here is an update: the subversion repository URL I gave above is no longer there as of yesterday. Instead, do:
    Code:
    svn co http://boinc.berkeley.edu/svn/tags/boinc_core_release_7_0_28
    Last edited by hagfish52; 02-03-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Hi Rubberman,

Unfortunately the only 64-bit machine I have (besides the Hackintosh) runs Windows for my telecommute job--don't want to mess with that! The 32-bit computer I am trying to run BOINC on is running the Fedora PAE kernel now and it sees 8 GB with "free -m". Surely that is enough RAM? The MB is an old Tyan server MB using two dual-core Intel Sossaman processors.

Just to make sure I leave no stone unturned, I am going to run memtest on the computer overnight. The memory I used when building the computer was "pre-owned", so who knows?

BTW, if anyone else wants to work on this too, you are welcome.

Here is an update: the subversion repository URL I gave above is no longer there as of yesterday. Instead, do:
    Code:
    svn co http://boinc.berkeley.edu/svn/tags/boinc_core_release_7_0_28
    When I have a 1/2 minute, I'll try installing it on my 64-bit Scientific Linux system, and let you know what happens.

Hi,

Memory and hard drive on my computer tested out OK yesterday.

I went back over the BOINC website instructions to see where I might have gone wrong. On the webage at SoftwarePrereqsUnix it appears I left some things out of the build: the graphics libraries GL and GLU, and the C++ library libstdc++-static. Also it looks like GLUT (or freeglut) have to be static versions of the libraries. I went over the changelogs of the Fedora 18 development packages for GLUT and freeglut and they are dynamic libraries. So GLUT (or freeglut) may have to be installed from source.

Well, at least now I have some idea of what I need to work on. Look for "How to set up VirtualBox and BOINC Client for Test4Theory on Fedora 18 (Rev. 1.01)" soon!
    Last edited by hagfish52; 02-05-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast