Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Irithori
Hi all, I am completely new to Linux and my new VPS - I'm just trying to give it a go really! I am running CentOS with cPanel and am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Beginner DNS Issues

Hi all,

I am completely new to Linux and my new VPS - I'm just trying to give it a go really! I am running CentOS with cPanel and am having problems with my DNS setup.

I have my own domain (richardbeddington.com) that I cannot seem to get to point to the IP I have setup for it on my WHM.

When running "host" or "dig" I am getting a SERVFAIL error. Although when I run
    Code:
    host -t ns richardbeddington.com
    I can see the two nameservers that I've set it up to:

Code:
    richardbeddington.com.	83448	IN	NS	ns2.vps-10.com.
    richardbeddington.com.	83448	IN	NS	ns1.vps-10.com.
    Now I don't know whether I should have it to some sort of local nameserver, or whether I should explicitly reference this domain in etc/resolve.conf, but some of the default domains that I have for this VPS (just some subdomains of the hosting company) don't seem to be setup in this way and work fine.

If you need any other details obviously I can post them here.

Thanks for your time,
    Rich

Hi and welcome

to me it seems, the two nameservers ns1/2.vps-10.com are running,
    but have no information about the zone richardbeddington.com.

I assume, these ns are run by your hosting company and there are methods in place to manage dns zones.
    Maybe there is a webinterface/customer login of that hosting company, that you can use?
    RichieAHB likes this.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Hi and welcome

to me it seems, the two nameservers ns1/2.vps-10.com are running,
    but have no information about the zone richardbeddington.com.

I assume, these ns are run by your hosting company and there are methods in place to manage dns zones.
    Maybe there is a webinterface/customer login of that hosting company, that you can use?
    Thanks so much for your reply, it got me looking outside of the server and into the domain switch I'd done. I'd got so bogged down in thinking I didn't know how the server worked I didn't bother querying my domain registrar.

Basically the domain they said they'd unlocked hadn't been unlocked. I've just got them to redo it and it worked immediately!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close