Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
There were no worries. I just did not want you to be waiting for me to respond. I was letting my manners show again. LOL. Ok, I put in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

There were no worries. I just did not want you to be waiting for me to respond. I was letting my manners show again. LOL.

Ok, I put in the commands. I was in the tmp directory when I ran the commands. The vsftpd.log was blank. On the flip side of it, login was almost immediate. Below is what I got once it connected.

Response: 500 OOPS: vsftpd: refusing to run with writable root inside chroot()
    Error: Critical error
    Error: Could not connect to server

Linux Newbie
    You are (supposedly) in a chroot, didn't knew that changed vsftpd behaviour. Mkay, learned again lol.

About the response. If I interpretet that correctly, it would mean that '/' inside your chroot has world writable permissions or something? Could you post the output of (insite the same chroot where you run vsftpd):

ls -lad /
    I Want to know what is happenning and if it's intended. This is making vsftpd not run at all!

Btw, we are getting close to a definitive answer. Stuff is getting pretty basic, so we might be able to nail it sooner or later.

EDIT: I changed the post. It seems something is wrong with your chroot. Need to check the above first, no use in running vsftpd. It will not work with the previous command in this post (#52). That is, if I interpretet the error correctly.
    Last edited by Rexilion; 02-12-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Linux Engineer
    Hi, I skimmed through this thread, so if this has already been covered, I apologize.

First, you should test the ftp connection speed from the localhost on the ftp server.
    ftp localhost
    Anon login name from commandline is 'ftp'

See if you get the same symptoms connecting locally.

If you don't, then you need to check the connection between the client and the host. I have seen similar kinds of problems when two hosts are on the same subnet but have different subnet masks or gateway. Make sure traffic is being routed symmetrically between the two hosts (ie, they are both using the same gateway for the network you wish to use).

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for chiming in so late (really). It could be, but we have seen that the delay happens after some traffic has gone back and forth. Check post #33 and #35 for this. For example, check the snippet below. You will see that communications of packets is somewhat instant.

Thank you for your take, I hope I interpretet it correctly. If you think I did not, please elaborate. It could be something we have missed and might also need some test(s).

Code:
    14:22:11.783285 IP webforms.tsb.local.ftp > htcsta1.tsb.local.6203: Flags [P.], seq 1:44, ack 1, win 115, length 43
    14:22:11.785795 IP htcsta1.tsb.local.6203 > webforms.tsb.local.ftp: Flags [P.], seq 1:19, ack 44, win 256, length 18
    14:22:11.785838 IP webforms.tsb.local.ftp > htcsta1.tsb.local.6203: Flags [.], ack 19, win 115, length 0
    14:22:11.785896 IP webforms.tsb.local.ftp > htcsta1.tsb.local.6203: Flags [P.], seq 44:78, ack 19, win 115, length 34
    14:22:11.791109 IP htcsta1.tsb.local.6203 > webforms.tsb.local.ftp: Flags [P.], seq 19:40, ack 78, win 256, length 21

Just Joined!
    dr-xr-xr-x. 18 root root 4096 Feb 12 08:58 /

the above is the response to the "ls -lad /"

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Herculeon View Post
    dr-xr-xr-x. 18 root root 4096 Feb 12 08:58 /

the above is the response to the "ls -lad /"
    eh? I get it.

You said you did in /tmp lol.

/tmp is 777 by definition + sticky bit. Try the vsftpd command in a directory *any* other than /tmp

ROFL... Did not see this one coming. vsftpd meant it's own root directory (which is . or $CWD btw). Makes sense, in some way I guess...
    Last edited by Rexilion; 02-13-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Just Joined!
    Ok, i redid it in the directory that the FTP can upload to and in the var root directory. I got yhe same respone as I listed before.

Linux Newbie
    That's confusing. Vsftpd cannot even do chroot() as a normal user. Maybe try adding:

-ochroot_list_enable=NO

to the list of vsftpd. If THAT does not work, then please rerun it again as

Code:
    strace /usr/sbin/vsftpd -olisten_port=5555 -opasv_min_port=5556 -opasv_max_port=5557 -oport_enable=NO \
    -olisten=true -orun_as_launching_user=true -oanon_world_readable_only=false \
    -odual_log_enable=yes -olog_ftp_protocol=yes -ovsftpd_log_file=./vsftpd.log -oxferlog_file=./vsftpd.log \
    -owrite_enable=true -oanon_upload_enable=true -oanon_mkdir_write_enable=true \
    -oanon_other_write_enable=true -oseccomp_sandbox=no ~/.emptyconfig >& ./vsftpd-strace.log
    Reproduce the problem, and post the enormous amount of output over at Pastebin.com - #1 paste tool since 2002!. Make sure that it's a normal user which can create ./vsftpd-strace.log in this current directory. And that ~/.emptyconfig still exists of course.

Just Joined!
    ok, here is the pastebin
    strace.log - Pastebin.com

Linux Newbie
    Great, it calls clone(). Didn't knew that. Care to try again with this modified cmd? Again, please post the log.

strace -f /usr/sbin/vsftpd -olisten_port=5555 -opasv_min_port=5556 -opasv_max_port=5557 -oport_enable=NO \
    -olisten=true -orun_as_launching_user=true -oanon_world_readable_only=false \
    -odual_log_enable=yes -olog_ftp_protocol=yes -ovsftpd_log_file=./vsftpd.log -oxferlog_file=./vsftpd.log \
    -owrite_enable=true -oanon_upload_enable=true -oanon_mkdir_write_enable=true \
    -oanon_other_write_enable=true -oseccomp_sandbox=no ~/.emptyconfig >& ./vsftpd-strace.log

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast