Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I had some problems with my system to which I had to reinstall Fedora 18, however Windows is no longer in the grub menu. How can I add it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with dual booting, grub and F18

Hey, I had some problems with my system to which I had to reinstall Fedora 18, however Windows is no longer in the grub menu. How can I add it back? Thanks!

Linux Guru
    Since you haven't posted any detailed information such as drives/partitions and where boot files are, the best advice I can give is to point you to the Fedora link below:

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questi...ows-8-to-grub2

There are several options at the site below. It refers to Fedora 16 but it also uses Grub2:

Solid Smoke: Fedora 16 / Windows 7 - Dual booting with GRUB2

Fedora installer should have detected Windows OS on re-install. Have you tried to update GRUB again?
    Code:
    su -c 'update-grub2'
    In case above code doesn't detect Windows OS, post the output of fdisk -l command here.
    Code:
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    * Its small L in fdisk -l
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Problems Dual Booting Fedora 18 with Windows 7

Hey, I've installed Windows 7 onto sda, and then I installed F18 onto sdb, however grub2 doesn't detect the Windows drive. While setting up the drives during the F18 installation, I've tried selecting just sdb for the Fedora install, and I've tried selecting them both, but with bootloader on sda and doing it that way just brings me into grub recovery when I boot. What could I be doing wrong, or does anybody know of a step by step guide for it? It never used to be an issue with Ubuntu as it would work out of the box.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Check the Fedora site below which has some information.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2?rd=Grub2

It isn't clear from your post if you can boot Fedora. If you can, do that and go to the site below, read the instructions then download and run the bootinfoscript and post the results.txt file. If you can't boot your installed Fedora, boot the Live CD and do this.

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

You would have needed to select a partition for your filesystem on sdb for Fedora then select /dev/sdb as the device for bootloader installation. The last time I installed Fedora, it had an option after I selected the / partition to Install bootloader on /dev/sda and to the right it had a tab to change.

Just Joined!
    I have managed to get it working by selecting the option to replace Linux, but no other partitions such as FAT, and installing the bootloader onto sdb, which is the Linux drive, not sda which is the Windows drive. Thanks for the help!

Threads merged.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.