Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 with new installation of Fedora 18 and resume is not fully operational after Suspension or Hibernation. Resume is attempted for both Suspend and Hibernate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Fedora 18 - How to configure Suspend and Hibernation

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 with new installation of Fedora 18 and resume is not fully operational after Suspension or Hibernation.

Resume is attempted for both Suspend and Hibernate but neither works completely.

For the resume from suspend:-
    - The laptop on opening the lid starts to a continuous cycle of the following :-
    a. The hard-disk and LEDs on the keyboards are active for about 4 seconds and the stop for 5 seconds and then repeat.

For the resume from hibernate:-
    - Invoke hibernate
    - Power on the laptop and after selecting the required entry in the GRUB menu, instead of the login screen, I get a corrupted image on the screen - a repeating staircase pattern in black and white.

To recover from both of these, I have to power off and then reboot

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It may be a BIOS/UEFI configuration issue. Check if you have ACPI (advanced configuration and power interface) enabled or not. You may need to change it in the BIOS, or your grub configuration to enable or disable it on boot if necessary. Some systems play well with it, and others don't. I know that there were some kernel-level problems with suspent/hibernate last year, but I thought they had been resolved at this point, and FC18 is certainly "at this point"...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!