Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need to upgrade a RHEL linux server box from the current RHEL 5.5 to 6.2. However, the server is in a remote location (India), and I am in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Talking Upgrading OS remotely

Hi,

I need to upgrade a RHEL linux server box from the current RHEL 5.5 to 6.2. However, the server is in a remote location (India), and I am in Malaysia.

The server is NOT registered with the Red Hat Network.

Therefore please advise on what is the best way for me to do the upgrade.
    In addition to the upgrade, I also have to install a few software packages.

What is the best way to do the tasks above?

I tried googling, and found solutions like HTTP network install, ILO virtual media, etc etc.

Which one is the best way?

I am a system admin in a company in M'sia, and a newbie to remote installation.

Trusted Penguin
    There are two issues with your desire (at least):

1. It is *required* to have a valid RHN in order to install Red Hat EL packages using their yum servers. If you have the original installation media for 6.2, then yes, you can install that instead, but you will not be able to keep the system up to date, w/o the RHN license (altho it sounds like you are doing this already). That media may not have all the RHEL software in the official repos, though, which you will not have access to, w/o the RHN license.

2. It is inadvisable to "update" RHEL from one major version to the next (i.e., 5.x to 6.x). It is much safer to back up all your data, make an inventory of all software you will need to re-install, then perform a regular install using the newer (6.x) media/installation repo.

If you don't care about updates, then you can set up your own RHEL Yum repo server on a machine that your remote machine can access, but this is a lot of work. So if you don't care about updates, you should probably just be using CentOS.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    So if you don't care about updates, you should probably just be using CentOS.
    Could you explain what it is you are trying to say is wrong with CentOS?
    CentOS follows RHEL closely.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Could you explain what it is you are trying to say is wrong with CentOS?
    CentOS follows RHEL closely.
    I did not express myself well. What I meant was that if the OP does not have a RHN license (as he clearly states), then it is safe to assume that the company is not stringent about adhering to a regularly patched and updated system. And if THAT is the case, then they might not have a problem using CentOS instead, which they WOULD be able to keep up to date via yum, and would also be easier to perform a remote install. There are some, however, that require a certified or accredited OS, even though CentOS is a binary clone of one.

I am actually in favor of using CentOS (and am a fan and regular user), where possible!