Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and to the linux field,and i was hoping u guys can help me in figuring out how to install RHEL 6 along side ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual booting RHEL 6 with Windows 8

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum and to the linux field,and i was hoping u guys can help me in figuring out how to install RHEL 6 along side Windows 8. Mine's a laptop pre-installed with Windows 8.

Hi and Welcome !

Its really easy to install Linux and setup dual boot. Have you purchased license of RHEL6? You won't receive crucial updates without license. Or you can try CentOS. Its like RHEL minus RedHat branding.

Post your machine's specs like available disk space, RAM size here. Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi, This is my machine's spec : 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD and RADEON HD GRAPHICS 7650M,and it comes pre-installed with windows 8. Can u give me the link to centOS download? Since Windows 8 has UEFI secure boot,it doesn't allow other OSs to boot up,i have tried to dual boot FEDORA 18 and nothing came up

We have problem now.
    Check your machine's BIOS. Does it have options to Enable/Disable Secure boot and Legacy boot? Does Windows OS boot up on toggling these option?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    yeah,it does have the "Enable/diable secure boot" option and windows 8 boots up on enabling it and enabling the Boot mode as "UEFI" i'm thinking to try fedora 18 on virtualbox.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Dual-boot is fine, but not so much with the new Secure-Boot UEFI that Win8 requires... My advice is to install a virtual machine manager, such as VirtualBox or VMware on Win8 and run Linux in a virtual machine. That completely bypasses all that SecureBoot cruft.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Hi, I also have Windows 8 on my machine although it wasn't pre-installed. During the install it mentions that the UEFI option won't work with it as will some dual boot operations because they have coded something to prevent people from installing things that may be able to read the windows stuff and it violates one of security items that Windows 8 is trying to enforce. You might look up stuff on one of the windows document sites. I had to disable some of the security features for mine to install. I didn't try to dual boot off the same drive, I had an extra drive and loaded it there, I just select which disk I boot off...

Jack