Find the answer to your Linux question:
Two Fedora 18 installs (LXDE and XFCE spins) running as virtual machines fail to install VMware Tools as VMware cannot find the headers. I've installed gcc make kernel-devel and kernel-headers, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VMware tools can't find headers in Fedora 18 virtual machine

Two Fedora 18 installs (LXDE and XFCE spins) running as virtual machines fail to install VMware Tools as VMware cannot find the headers.

I've installed gcc make kernel-devel and kernel-headers, and tried directing the tools install to “/lib/modules/3.*.*-*.fc18.x86/build/include” (substituting the proper kernel details in) but the Tools install still says the location contains no header files.

Where are the header files or how do I install VMware tools in Fedora 18?

Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Before you build/install the vmware tools you need to install the kernel-headers package with the yum command: yum install kernel-headers
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Have done that. Have also done updates and even tried "yum install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" which advises the latest headers are already installed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sounds like it's time to visit the user forums at vmware... Sorry, but the only other option may be to install the kernel-devel package, or kernel-sources.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I had already installed kernel-devel and have just tried installing kernel-sources as well as the lates VMware tools for linux.
    Still no luck with VMware tools advising -"Searching for a valid kernel header path... The path "" is not a valid path to the 3.7.2-201.fc18.i686 kernel headers. Would you like to change it? [yes]"

Just Joined!
    Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I have now found the solution at <https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/3485/vmware-player-f18-kernel-headers>

Fedora 18 needs the following command to be run (using sudo)

"cp /usr/include/linux/version.h /lib/modules/3.7.2-201.fc18.x86_64/build/include/linux/"

Hope this helps others with the same problem .