Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I previously installed and ran Fedora 17 LXDE and XFCE spins as well as the gnome standard install as virtual machines on a Windows 7 64 bit host. These ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 18 (new install) won't allow adding additional users

Hi,
    I previously installed and ran Fedora 17 LXDE and XFCE spins as well as the gnome standard install as virtual machines on a Windows 7 64 bit host. These ran well and were stable.

I also installed and had Fedora 17 LXDE 32bit installed and being used daily by an intellectually disadvantaged fellow who found it easy to use, hard to stuff up (unlike Windows 7) and very stable. Sadly his old computer died.

Tried installing Fedora 18 LXDE 64 bit on a new i3 intel powered box with 8GB of ram. The install locked up several times, did not allow manual partitioning to install "/", "/boot", swap onto sda1 and "/home" onto sda2. Finally did an install with Fedora's automatic partitioning onto sda1.

As I do not want to grant super user priveleges to the user, I first created an administrator type user who had su priveleges. Then tried adding additional users but clicking on the menu item results in nothing happening.

How do I add users?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried going to the command line, su to root, and then running the adduser command?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did an adduser which appeared to work but the user was not accessible. I loggged out of the original user but could not login to the new user. I could not find how to create a password for the new user and fedora 18 still would not open the users and groups (this also fails in the fedora 18 virtual machines but not in any others).

By the way the vm host is windows 7 home premium 64 bit with 16GB ram on an AMD FX8120 @ 4.26GHz. 2GB ram are allocated to each vm, but some have 1 core and others 2 allocated.

After creating the user via command line, did you then use the passwd command to create a password?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    After creating the user via command line, did you then use the passwd command to create a password?
    I have just done so in a fed18LXDE virtual machine. It works fine .

However, I still have no access to users and groups through the gui. Is there some way to access this or is it blocked (or a bug) in fedora 18 LXDE and XFCE?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzlawrence View Post
    As I do not want to grant super user priveleges to the user, I first created an administrator type user who had su priveleges. Then tried adding additional users but clicking on the menu item results in nothing happening.

How do I add users?
    Fedora 18 will only prompt for sudo password, not for root password, by default.
    If you want to modify this behavior, you have to do it an a per application basis:
    Marek Goldmann | Configuring polkit in Fedora 18 to access virt-manager

Quote Originally Posted by ozzlawrence View Post
    However, I still have no access to users and groups through the gui. Is there some way to access this or is it blocked (or a bug) in fedora 18 LXDE and XFCE?
    I haven't used Fedora in a while, so I can't say for certain. But as I recall, attempting to change/access user/groups would open a dialog box asking for the root password.
    Is this opening? Or is that what you mean by nothing happens?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    No, absolutely nothing happens - nothing opens at all.

Sounds like a possible bug that you may want to report.
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/
    Do you happen to have any other DEs installed where you could try to add a user? If so, this would be helpful information to include in a bug submission.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Yes, I just tried it in fedora 17 LXDE vms. The issue is the same in the 32 bit version but the users and groups are accessible in the 64 bit version. Very odd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast