Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Fedora Core 3 on to an old PC of mine. It's a Gateway GP7-733. It has a P3 and 512MB of ram. The first time I installed FC3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video/Application Problems

I installed Fedora Core 3 on to an old PC of mine. It's a Gateway GP7-733. It has a P3 and 512MB of ram. The first time I installed FC3 and booted up it gave me an error that my bios needed to be updated. It booted up fine but when I opened up a game or an application like OpenOffice.org it wouldn't show the whole window, it would show the border of the program and in the middle it was my desktop, all jumbled up. So I formated my hard drive, upgraded my bios, and reinstalled FC3. It still did the same thing, nothing changed. So I went out to intel.com and got specific linux drivers for my onboard video. Installed it, and it didn't do anything after the reboot. The operating system runs fast, everything seems to work right, but I just can't see things I open, garbled. Does anybody have any suggestions, or possible a better distro to try. I really wanted to use FC3 because it seems like a distro I can trust. Thanks a ton!

-Ryan

Linux Engineer
    Every application you try to run have the same behavior?
    Do you use GNOME or KDE (i dont use FC3 so I dont even know the default)
    whats your video card?

Please include as many information as possible
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    I really wanted to use FC3 because it seems like a distro I can trust. Thanks a ton!
    HA! Sorry..
    What WM are you using? KDE? Change the resolution. If it is set to like 640 on a 15inch screen.. you see my point. What is it's current setting? Oh, and the BIOS has nothing to do with the OS. It only loads a few things to get you up and going. After that the OS takes control.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I use GNOME, my graphics controller is an Intel 82815, I have tried different resolutions, and yes it is every application. When I click on the applications menu and scroll down to games, the games don't show up until I scroll my mouse across. Some menus popup right away, but some are invisible till i scroll across like games and preferences. Other wise, everthing looks great. Sometimes I'll open an application and then close it, my desktop icons disapear, but then I just run my mouse across them and they reapear.
    Thanks for the help guys!

-Ryan

Just Joined!
    I tried KDE and a number of other ones and still had the same problem. I was able to specify my monitor and it gave me different screen resolutions. That helped a little, but still acts up.

Linux Newbie
    Did it detect you're video card and monitor right?

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it detected everything right.