Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a program which runs on Red Hat 4 & 5 systems. Unfortunately, I believe that both these O/S systems are now defunct (since around 2004). Is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Is Red Hat 5 compatible with other Linux O/S Systems?

Hi,

I have a program which runs on Red Hat 4 & 5 systems.

Unfortunately, I believe that both these O/S systems are now defunct (since around 2004).

Is there a current version of Linux which will run my program?

Thanks & regards,

Pete

Hello and Welcome!
    Are you referring to RHEL? If so, you may have some luck getting your programs to work on CentOS or Scientific Linux.
    Both are clones of RHEL, minus he corporate branding.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Engineer
    Yes. There possibly may be.

Linux Newbie
    From OS point of view major and minor changes will happen time to time. For supported OS like Redhat always there would would be some turn around solution.
    At end of the day all are files , things could be fixed either application side or OS side

If u pay more u will get customized OS for your application so u and vendor happy

I suggest upgrade and keep in track.

If not around for paid service, could try other flavor as posted above.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-the-postman View Post
    Is there a current version of Linux which will run my program?
    Good day, and welcome aboard, Pete!

As noted above CentOS and Scientific are good options for replacing RHEL. Otherwise, any of the three are good Linux alternatives. If your program, whatever it might be, won't work on them, you can use the older versions of those distros, but with limited or no support. If none of those options are good for your needs, maybe an upgrade of the program you refer to would be in order and a better alternative, overall. Let us know how it works out for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the quick responses. It's always much appreciated when smarter brains than me are willing to help out.

The application itself is a compiled Irie Pascal program, for which I don't have the source code.

According to Irie website it does run on Red Hat 4 & Red Hat 5, which I think were forerunners to RHEL.

The program does some heavy number-crunching for plotting the movements of planets & stars. It takes around 2-3 days to complete, hence I thought that it would be useful to "rent" a VPS server for a month. I found a suitable vendor who offers lots of different "flavors" of Linux with no lengthy contracts, but as explained above I have no idea about compatibility.

The vendor offers 5 different versions: CentOs - Debian - Fedora - SuSe - Ubuntu

Judging by the comments above it looks like "CentOs" is the best bet.

Once again - Many thanks for your help on this

Have a great day.

Best regards,

Pete

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-the-postman View Post
    According to Irie website it does run on Red Hat 4 & Red Hat 5, which I think were forerunners to RHEL.
    That's correct... RHEL 4.0 came out in 2005 while RHEL 5.0 was released in 2007. A lot has changed with Linux since that time but with any luck maybe your app will run fine on one of the distros you said the vendor offers. Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Linux Engineer
    If you are just crunching numbers, you might consider a service such as Amazon or Rackspace Cloud. You pay by the hour, only for what you use.