Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using Fedora 18, have SE Linux enabled. So I was experimenting with network topologies and I disabled "NetworkManager" with this command: Code: sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager I use ip addr ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

What the heck is "mdc_service.log"???

Using Fedora 18, have SE Linux enabled.

So I was experimenting with network topologies and I disabled "NetworkManager" with this command:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager
    I use ip addr and ip route to setup my network by hand.

Now I need SE Linux so I am not disabling it. But it keeps reporting a file access violation, that /usr/sbin/ifconfig is trying to write to a file called mdc_service.log and that this action has been restricted by the "catch all" SE Linux policy. This exception occurs about once every 24 hours. I'm thinking it might be a bug.

Unfortunately, when I searched Google for "mdc_service.log" (in quotes), I get zero results. I've never had that happen before, and I can't believe that someone wrote a script or something into Fedora that tries to write to a log file, but that this log file hasn't been document anywhere at all, not even in any of the mailing lists.

So does anyone here know what mdc_service.log is, and why is ifconfig is trying to write to it?

There is probably a script somewhere that is using ifconfig to do something but I will have trouble tracking down this script without more information. Any takers?

Linux User
    Never mind. The error occurs more than once every 24 hours, and the exception occurred again. I used the "SE Linux Alert Browser" and clicked on the "details" button.

Turns out this is caused a third party application trying to do something that would otherwise break the rules dictated by SE Linux.